Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 200 Amp panel selection question

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with Square-D QO, (I'd never use homeline,though)...
    What's wrong with Homeline?

One thing I recommend to folks wiring up a new shop w/subpanel: If you can, run a second circuit for some shop lighting/plugs from the main panel. You will appreciate this when you're fiddling in the sub-panel at 9:00pm some evening, trying to get your new toy wired up. It will remove the temptation to work live. I don't have this and I work live in there more than I care to.

Incidentally, I installed a GE panel for no deeper reason than it matched my existing panel. I didn't really see any compelling reason to go out of my way to have mismatched panels.
    Last edited by John Coloccia; 08-04-2011 at 7:04 PM.

My personal opinion. It could very well be just as good, but I don't know. There no getting around the taste that it was "made for the homeowner". It is newly released (newer than QO), costs less, and made of lighter weight materials. I've seen QO that were 40 years old and seen them in commercial buildings. So (again IMO) the QO are of an above average quality.

Greetings Bob.

Our house has a total of 400 Amp 240V service consisting of two Square D 200 Amp panels. Our electrician would only use Square D panels.

There are two different Square D panels handled at the borgs, the QO and as I recall, the QX. One panel type uses small breakers and the other uses the larger breaker that I was used to seeing. When you go to buy, get the panel that uses the larger breaker. Ask the electrical dept person to show you the types of breakers, one type will cost you about 4 to 5 dollars, you don't want that panel. The good panel will use the breakers that are more than 10 dollars, this is the panel you want; it will last well into your children's lives.

Remember, buy quality, and spend your money once.
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock View Post
    Greetings Bob.

Our house has a total of 400 Amp 240V service consisting of two Square D 200 Amp panels. Our electrician would only use Square D panels.

There are two different Square D panels handled at the borgs, the QO and as I recall, the QX. One panel type uses small breakers and the other uses the larger breaker that I was used to seeing. When you go to buy, get the panel that uses the larger breaker. Ask the electrical dept person to show you the types of breakers, one type will cost you about 4 to 5 dollars, you don't want that panel. The good panel will use the breakers that are more than 10 dollars, this is the panel you want; it will last well into your children's lives.

Remember, buy quality, and spend your money once.
    You can get the standard (non-GFCI non-AFCI) 120V 20A QO breaker for $4. They have been around sooo long. I believe the QO is the larger breaker. I wouldn't go by price for this example.

I noticed the new Square D QO parts are using the square drive/straight screw heads. Just an observation. I noticed it when I had the old and new next to each other. I like using the square head for getting the panel cover screws out. Keeps the bit from slipping and scratching the finish.