Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quartet of "Winged" things waiting for some finish sanding and finish.

Nice wood haul and really nice winged pieces. Please post when finished.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Jeff, those are some fantastic pieces. Winged vessels are one of the types I enjoy the most and really like the shapes you are working on there. Fantastic job

Thanks all for the words of encouragement, when I first started turning pretty seriously 6 years ago I wanted to turn one of these just to see what it was all about. I had a small black cherry limb that had been dead for a while and the bark was off and it was weathered gray and dry. I tackled it with vigor and whacked my fingers a few times but kept at it, but had some issues with tool marks and it took me a lot of hand sanding to get it to where I was happy with it. It was a learning experience but it has paid off in the long run. It was one of the first things that I sold at the first gallery I was in and I was tickled to death that the goofy little thing sold! Now I can put them out much faster and with very little hand sanding, depending on the wood, but much better than that first one. With the bigger and faster lathe (PM3520B) I am able to control the speed with ease and that is the key to good clean cuts when turning air half the time. The big test is turning the hollow form in the middle and keeping tools and body parts out of the way of the "Propeller" as it is whirring on the lathe!

John, You give me too much credit, I am just a lucky boob who loves to make wood curls! I have been in love with wood working all my life, there is just something about the variety, color, smells, grain, and all the wild things under the bark, I am still awed by what I see inside a block of wood! Thank you for you very kind words, I am humbled my friend.

I too like the one on the right, there is just a cool look about the way the vessel is riding high on the wings with the natural edge holding it up. It is very thin and light weight with just enough spalting to ad some whimsy to the otherwise bland cottonwood. I will finish it first then.

Thanks again,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Interesting stuff there. If the winged thingies don't go over well there, try to get em over to Roswell, NM. Keep em coming big guy! Glad to see you turning wood!

mj

Those are neat! Really different! Like everybody else, I want to see the finished versions.
    That box elder is such beautiful stuff - too bad it doesn't retain its color.
    I too am glad to see you turning!