View Poll Results: Type of shoes

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sports or tennis shoes, sneakers, etc.

106 56.99%
  • Work shoes...steel toe...shank Red wing or others

50 26.88%
  • Sandles , Thongs, Beach flip flops Or fine Italian Dress shoes

8 4.30%
  • Mephisto, Rockport, Ecco or designed comfort shoes

21 11.29%
  • Barefoot...love splinters and nails in my feet

1 0.54%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shop shoes????? Lets not be defeeted!

I wear my steel toe reinforced slippers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Since they say Stanley on them I knew these were shop boots! Got them at Payless while getting winter ware for the kids. They had a buy-one-get-one free sale so they were effectively free! The cats think they make great scratching posts! (I was wondering why the toes looked so shredded).
    Attached Images Attached Images

My son talked me into getting a pair of Merrills (I think they're called Jungle Mocs) and they have several models, They are the most comfortable shoe and very easy to slip off and on (no laces). I bought a 2nd pair (cheaper version) that I use now always in the shop. Before, I used to wear the oldest pair of sneakers/athletic shoes . Very comfortable!!
    Jerry

Jerry,

I have the Merrill Jungle Moc's....my daughter recommended them! I use those in the shop as well as older Eccos and older Mephistos...I wait until they are pretty beat up and theb retire them for shop and garden use...Same with old jeans

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Olexa
    My son talked me into getting a pair of Merrills (I think they're called Jungle Mocs) and they have several models, They are the most comfortable shoe and very easy to slip off and on (no laces). I bought a 2nd pair (cheaper version) that I use now always in the shop. Before, I used to wear the oldest pair of sneakers/athletic shoes . Very comfortable!!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Yep, I wear my Merril Jungle Mocs for the shop also. At least my old ones. I have a good pair that I alternate with some tennys. Those Merril's are really comfy shoes.

I have found that as I get older [read ancient] I like shoes that I don't have to tie.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Mark,

If you have any intention of using a woodie without a chipbreaker, it should be workshoes. A beyond razor sharp plane iron going straight through the plane and into your foot calls for precautions. I always wear work shoes in the shop for protection.

Gene

The old slide through the mouth surprise....kind of like a spinning blade on a Skill 77 with the guard off...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene Collison
    Mark,

If you have any intention of using a woodie without a chipbreaker, it should be workshoes. A beyond razor sharp plane iron going straight through the plane and into your foot calls for precautions. I always wear work shoes in the shop for protection.

Gene
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I forgot to add that my boots cost roughly $70/pair and get me about 3 years of use at the 6x/week pace. The last pair I had was retired early due to the soles coming unglued, even after my various repair attempts, and pro repairs. Probably still had a year or two of sole life left, too. Now if someone could just make a decent pair of bootstrings that can withstand metal hooks and eyes, then my feet would be in heaven.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Comfy old clogs. Easy off for sawdust control to keep upstairs maid happy.

I'm reading about all these shoes that eveyone wears.

But, where are the "Manolo Blahnik's"?

Is no one here fashion conscience?
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Standard steeltoe non-slip workboots. AND I make my kids wear similar when in the shop "playing around"

Unless i am just there for a short time in the evening to put on another coat of shellac, etc., I always wear steel toed work boots.

It depends on what I'm doing out there. If I'm not working with anything heavy, I wear sneakers. If I'm moving plywood or anything else heavy, I have a couple of pairs of steel toes. A pair of steel toe sneakers for summer, and boots when it gets cooler.
    "Where ignorance is bliss, 'Tis folly to be wise."
    -Thomas Gray-

I can’t really vote in this poll because I have different habits regarding shoes. When I only need to get a tool or some stuff from the shop, I usually wear sandles. Last summer I wanted to clean up my shop and tried to decide between wearing sandles and work shoes. Well, I opted for the sandles (because I was too lazy to wear my work shoes) and a few minutes later I dropped a metal ratchet box on my left foot. One of my nails still looks “nice” and today I mostly wear my work shoes.
    Sometimes, when I get home from a store, I play in the shop wearing my everyday shoes – usually Ecco or Clarks.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

I had a very close call when a chisel rolled off the bench when I was wearing sandals. Since then, I always put on my steel toed leather Vasque hiking boots when I head to my shop. I find that the steel shank also gives my feet, knees and hips a measure of support on the concrete floor.