Thread: Conventional/square grind bowl gouge ??

Conventional/square grind bowl gouge ??

I’ve recently tried, and really like, the conventional or square grind on a little used bowl gouge from PSI. This ˝ bowl gouge has been collecting dust since I discovered and switched to Doug Thompson’s tooling. I like it so much that I reground a DT ˝ U gouge that I never really cared for (I seem to enjoy the V grind). Question: at what angle do you grind your bevel? I am after that pesky corner transitioning from the bowl wall to the floor on the interior. Also do you keep the wings truly square all the way around or do you have the wing slightly ground back?
    When I reshaped the gouges from the Irish grind to square grind I shaped on my dry grinder and sharpened on the Tormek. I would like to sharpen one on the dry grinder but had some troubles when I was shaping keeping the gouge 90* to the wheel when I rotated around the wings. Do you use some sort of V block on the grinder table to maintain the correct orientation or are you just plain good at free hand sharpening? Any insights offered are sure appreciated. …Bill…

Hi Bill,I have a double ended Oneway 5/8" bowl gouge with a Parabolic U shape. I ground one end into an 85 degree conventional grind. I use it on some bowl bottoms when the grain is too grabby for the fingernail grind. It works for me.Faust

I use the traditional "square edge" grind with a 50 degree angle at the grinding wheel. I do bring the edges back a little as I grind it. I use the platform on the grinder with the tool kept on the platform with light pressure. Hope this is helpful.

I use a traditional grind at ~70 deg for this type of work. A platform on the grinder works for me.

I did similar with a P&N gouge and it is around 70 degrees. Yes, I swept back the corners somewhat because they just looked cary to me.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

I'm probably about 70 degrees on my traditional gouge, and I do roll the wings back a bit. I just roll mine on the grinder platform.

Harvey, that Glaser tool is huge... I think I would need some kind of permit to carry that thing around!

David, the added weight and mass of the gouge really help in obtaining a smooth cut between the transition of the wall and bottom of the bowl... minimizing catches.

Harvey, how do you keep you shop so neat?? I walk uphill in mine, toward the lathe!
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Wright View Post
    Harvey, how do you keep you shop so neat?? I walk uphill in mine, toward the lathe!
    What's neat? I just cleaned up!

Bill,
    The Wolverine platform is the easiest way to grind straight across for a spindle roughing gouge or a bottom bowl gouge. If you need help send it to me and I'll grind it.... Let me know.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-07-2011 at 8:53 AM.

It is similar to a spindle roughing gouge. I do roll mine back and forth on a platform, at about 75 degrees. When I am shaping the tool bevel, I keep the shaft 90 degrees to the wheel, then when done, I will roll it a few degrees to the sides so the face isn't square. I also use a secondary bevel. I do have one big Glaser, but most often reach for an old Craft Supplies Artisan 1/2 inch gouge that I ground this way. Only use it for the transition area and across the bottom. Finish cuts only, and the extra weight of the Glaser was more than I like. I do like the fluteless gouge from Doug Thompson.

robo hippy

I have a 1/2" and 3/8" P & N that are ground to a conventional grind. I think they are at 75 deg. I did this after watching Mike Mahoney use his for the transition at the bottom and for his final couple of passes on a bowl.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Wow! Thanks for all the answers fella's. And to Doug, think I will wait on the vid. Kinda like doing things for myself and this should not be as hard as I seem to be trying to make it.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 08-07-2011 at 8:55 AM.

Hi, Bill:
    Most of my standard/conventional/traditional grind gouges are ground at 45-50 degrees, although I have one that is ground much steeper. I just use the Wolverine platform and roll the gouge with the butt end of the handle against my hip. I grind the wings back simply by rolling the gouge further. My wings are ground all the way back so they disappear at the point where the heel of the bevel reaches the flute of the gouge.

Take care
    Bob