Thread: Pretty in Peach

Pretty in Peach

Well, the wood is pretty anyway.
    This was from the trunk section of a small peach tree. I cut the straight section into bowl blanks and was left with the section above it where the tree had started branching. I cut off the branch stubs then put it between centers to turn a HF. With all of the piths, I knew cracking would probably be an issue and I was right. To try and keep ahead of the pith cracks, I drilled out each pith with a small bit then filled the holes with turquoise inlace (the holes were drilled deep enough so that when the piece was hollowed it would cut into the fill so the center of the pith was completely turned away). Other cracks popped up as I was roughing it and I used CA to stabilize them.
    Just as I thought, with all the branching, it had some pretty nice grain and the color was nice too.
    The form's not great, doesn't follow the rule of 1/3's, but it's kinda growing on me and it does look a little better in person.
    5 1/2" x 5 1/4" and the widest point is at 3" from the bottom, just a coat of BLO so far.

8-6-11 02b.jpg 8-6-11 01b.jpg 8-6-11 03s.jpg
    8-6-11 04s.jpg 8-6-11 05s.jpg 8-6-11 06s.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    As always comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

i like it alot very nice looking wood as well

Kathy, neat way to save a piece of wood! But, I would have to be honest in saying the form, while well done, is not quite my cup of tea. Others will probably feel differently, and my opinion on the form is just that. You do a great job with your turning, and did so here, as well.

Neat piece of wood, and I kinda like the form... I suspect you, jK, and I would all like it a bit better if it conformed to the golden mean. Sometimes, you just gotta try something... I'm glad you did.

Kathy,
    I don't care what JK says.....lol. It's Beautiful just the way it is.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

I like it, it's beautiful wood and the shape reminds me of a Greek pot.

This is beautiful, the form is good, you are good!!

That is a beautiful piece Kathy. Love the wood and form.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

"Pretty in Peach" is just the right term. I like it a lot with all the grain movement and the little turquoise eyes.

Kathy - very nice piece. The fruit woods seem to be especially interesting. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that even at an old age, their trunks aren't too large. I have a few hunks from the base of a cherry tree in my parent's yard, which I saved when it blew/rotted down. Cutting them with a chain saw was not easy - extremely hard. They are roughed and awaiting more work. I love the form you developed - remember to some, the golden mean refers to golden average! I think sometimes we let too many outside forces dictate what we turn as opposed to letting our internal creative juices flow. You did a great job of interpreting the wood. Thanks for sharing.
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Thanks everyone!
    I know it doesn't follow the rule of thirds, but it's not the 1st time I've ended up with a form like this so there must be something about this form that speaks to me. I will admit it's not my favorite form but the curve in the lower portion fits really well between cupped hands, though I do notice a little flattening of the curve in the neck area. I probably wouldn't like it as much if the wood was blah, but I really do like the wood and who knows what the final shape may be since it seems to be moving quite a bit lol.
    If we didn't each have our own tastes and opinions, we'd all be turning identical pieces and where would variety be? So I appreciate all of the comments!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

I think it's a great piece.

For those of you not crazy about the form, Google "Southwest Pottery" images and you'll find lots of variations of this same form. Some think it's a classic.
    Within 13K miles of everybody.