Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing skid marks in driveway

Removing skid marks in driveway

Last winter some bozo decided that instead of shovel the driveway, he'd just spin the wheels until he got his truck into the garage. Now said bozo has one nice, long skid mark burned into his concrete driveway.

The following methods of removal were tried and failed:
    • Wait 6 months for them to wear off
    • Power wash using 1650 psi electric power washer
    • Angle grinder with wire wheel.
    The power washer got off a lot of it, but not all. The angle grinder didn't do much. The rubber seems to be melted onto the concrete.

Any ideas for removing this stuff? My, er, his next idea was muratic acid

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post
    Last winter some bozo decided that instead of shovel the driveway, he'd just spin the wheels until he got his truck into the garage. Now said bozo has one nice, long skid mark burned into his concrete driveway.

The power washer got off a lot of it, but not all. The angle grinder didn't do much. The rubber seems to be melted onto the concrete.

i would let it just wear off with time

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hatcher View Post

I'd rent a high power pressure washer (3500psi+) with a rotary turbo nozzle; the smaller electrics won't have the oomph for this kind of work. Muriatic acid will work but may discolor the driveway. Note that with both methods you'll probably need to do the entire driveway because you'll see the clean patches. With the pressure washer see if the rental place has a "sweeper" attachment... this will clean 1ft+ wide swaths at a time but may not have the power for the tire marks.

I'm thinking... Stain the rest black?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    i would let it just wear off with time
    That was my initial plan, but after 6 months and no change, I need a new solution. This is in a suburban subdivision and the driveway is kind of steep so it quite visible. Besides that, I'm the president of the HOA and really should have cleaned this up a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I'd rent a high power pressure washer (3500psi+) with a rotary turbo nozzle;
    Somehow I knew this would be the next step. Oh well, probably better than polluting the earth with acid or kerosene.

I have a 3000 psi pressure washer with a spinning head and it will cut into the concrete

you could burn it off with a torch. or just paint the driveway white.
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

How 'bout removing skid marks from a hardwood floor? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kC0VfWkAbQ

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    you could burn it off with a torch. or just paint the driveway white.
    If you locally heat concrete with a torch, especially an oxyacetylene torch, the concrete will spall. That is, the concrete will locally expand and when it expands enough, the surface will break explosively and pieces of concrete will fly out everywhere. The biggest danger is to your eyes but it will scare the heck out of you when it pops. And it will leave a ding in the surface of the concrete.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    The explosions remind me of the good old days when I did a lot of oxy-acetylene welding on my concrete pad in front of my garage. The first couple of times really got my attention.
    Propane and one of the torches designed to burn weeds may do the trick but keep the flame moving or you will get the spalling that Mike mentioned. Not sure of any chemical that will dissolve tire marks on concrete.
    David B

you could also make more tire marks in a pattern and call it art, then sell it for a large sum of money and everyone will want you to do burn outs on their driveway thereby solving your problems
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

can you get a permit to have the driveway covered with blacktop ?

Ugh--don't do that. They move differently, water gets in, cracks it, delaminates it, and makes a general mess.

Why is it that you can't get something like this off, but if you wanted to coat it, 1/2 would peel off in no time flat. Same with paint spilled on the floor?

Be sure not to get too agressive with a 3000 PSI pressure washer. A zero degree nozzle can actually remove concrete.