Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting the most out of a cheap band saw

getting the most out of a cheap band saw

I have a 1992 vintage Reliant 14" Tiawanese band saw similar to this one from Harbor Freight, [parts from this HF saw are interchangable with my saw]

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...image_5807.jpg

It is a decent saw, but lacks the quality of a Powermatic, or a upper end Delta or Jet. Anyway, I posted yesterday about the pen making supplies I got, and a Timberwolf blade [1/2 x 3 tpi] I purchased for this saw. I have used Timberwolf blades on my large Jet saw, but never on this one. I went through the proper tensioning procedure, and correctly adjusted the bearings and guide blocks .........as I always do whenever I put on a new blade.....................this time was different!

I have the best cut I ever got with this saw; with this blade. Absolutely zero blade drift.......I even resawed with it and got perfect 90 degree cuts to the table, and bowl blanks are smooth and easy with it. Even with aluminum cast wheels and not steel wheels [heavier] I got great cuts.

A few years ago, the motor that came with the saw had a start capacitor go out, and I replaced the motor with a Baldor motor..........but it never cut as good as it did today when I put the timberwolf blade on it.

For any turner looking to get the most out of your bandsaw, then I suggest you take a look at the Timberwolf blade...........it made a BIG difference in the quality and smoothness of the cuts.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I've heard and read a bit on those Timberwolf blades. I picked one up a while back and I'm waiting for the current blade to go before I put it on. But your report is really great to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Vaughan View Post
    Roger, I've heard and read a bit on those Timberwolf blades. I picked one up a while back and I'm waiting for the current blade to go before I put it on. But your report is really great to hear!
    I think you will like the results, Steve.............if you get it set up correctly, that blade gives a truly noticable difference.

I hear really great things about the bimetal blades from http://www.woodcraftbands.com/index.htm it will be the next blade I buy.

I have used Timberwolf blades from day one on my grizzly. Tune up the saw, blade and the results are great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I had the same revelation with my 'vintage' Reliant BS. A good blade makes a world of difference.

I've been using Timberwolf blades for around 10 years. Best blade I've found and I've tried allot of blades.

Just bought one a week ago for my 10" Rikon, It's not on yet but will soon be. Great to hear of it's quality.

"The best things in life are not things."

I will never purchase another blade other than Timber wolf. I have been breaking blades that were purchased from Shopsmith, purchased blade from a dozen different retailers. I just recently bought one TW 1/2 blade and it is truly the best thing out there. Pay the few extra dollars for a TW and you will be rewarded with many hours of service.

I too am in the timberwolf camp even with the added expense. Now I must admit if cash is short I go back to the "woodturners Bandsaw balde" from one of the catalog joints. It seems a fair second best but does not cut as well as the Timberwolf.

Well, I'll be the knot on the log and say that I use the Lenox Diemaster 2 blades (bi-metal) from www.bandsawbladesdirect.com For me, they are head and shoulders above the TW blades. Sharper, smoother cutting, way longer lasting, and I have used a bunch of the TW's . I have a 3/8" 4tpi .035 skip tooth on my big saw and I have cut at least 200 blanks with it since April when I put it on, and it's still going strong. Cost was about $47, and worth every penny. Elm, cherry, oak, maple, walnut, etc. All green, thickness from 2"-8+". Never got anywhere close with that from TW or the Woodslicers. I have new TW blades hanging on the wall that I will never use. Hmmmm, sounds like a sale coming up...check the classifieds later!!! Not trying to upset anyone, just telling my side of it...........Use whatever you think is good, and be happy.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I have a TW blade on my Jet 14 with riser right now, it has been on for about 8 months and I have sharpened it 5 times so far and it is still cutting like cazy! I am not sure how many blanks I have cut with it but I am sure it would be a couple pickup box loads for sure. When I use the cheaper Olson blades I get at most stores I may get a month or 2 and maybe 2 sharpenings before they break. I try to get my moneys worth out of every blade I put on and it only takes about 15 minutes to sharpen one and well worth the time. But now when I get my big saw up and running who knows what I will put on it, I do have a couple Lennox blades that came with it so Iwill see what they do.

Glad you are haveing good luck with yours,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

It will be interesting to see how you feel about how they stack up against one another, Jeff. I have a friend who has a PM 14" b-saw with a riser block, and he uses the lennox blades, and has had a number of them break..........he is dissatisfied with his, and is going to go to the Timberwolf...........that may just be his experience.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-08-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Roger,

Where did you get your blade from?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Roger,

Where did you get your blade from?
    Woodcraft..........you can order them online, and the stores carry them as well........unless they are out of stock, of course.