Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shop apron??? Pencil on the ear???

Shop apron??? Pencil on the ear???

Do you use a shop apron? No apron? Saw dust on your harry chest? Pencil on the ear?...What does pencil on the ear have to do with wearing a shop apron?
    I just wanted to get a vision of my friends working in their shops in their favorite attire and habits... Suspenders? ...Sawmill Creek hat? Why don't you stop asking so many questions and finish the Workstations!......They are done...soon to be posted.(Sorry I went skiing) ....Wife's birthday tonight...no I haven't started drinking.......yet!
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 02-19-2005 at 8:07 PM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

No apron, fully clothed, and pencils laying all over the place. I buy those pack of pencils at the dollar store.
    No good deed goes unpunished. aka The Cork

No apron. Unless I have to whisk broom or vacuum myself off at the end of a WW session, I just don't feel like I've gotten anything done. That's actually fairly easy to clean up. I have more trouble with all the stuff that falls into your shoes. I usually keep the pencil in the shallow recess on top of the TS fence.
    Use the fence Luke

bibs

When I was 17 years old these were cool. I have worn a variation,
    (Camoflage,insulated,pinstripe,white painters,brown,denim,black for partys)
    for the last 30 years. You never lose your pencil.
    Quick tip,tie a rubberband around your pencil. It won't fall out of your pocket or roll off the bench. Per
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence

No apron, although I wear two different types of smocks when turning to keep the "stuff" out of my shirt, etc. Pencils are "strategically located" throughout the shop. Typcially a plaid flannel shirt of some kind during the cold months; pocket long-tail tees in the warm weather. "Shop jeans" to complete the fashion statement.

I've been known to occasionally don a schmatta when turning to keep the chips out of my lovely locks...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-19-2005 at 8:28 PM.

I wear the Dickies Brand one piece jump suits. Get 'em at the mart's (either wall or K), they are cheap, easy to clean, and I find them very comfortable. Don't have to pull the pants up all day. Don't require a belt or suspenders, have plenty of deep pocket space. When it's cold, I wear a long sleeve flannel shirt underneath. Only problem is give yourself lead time if ya' gotta go potty, they can be difficult to get out of in a hurry.
    Tony

No apron, but I probably need one. Pencils tied to strings and tacked all over the shop. Usually a t-shirt with a pocket on it. Takes about 20 minutes to dig the chips and sawdust out of it. Makes my wife crazy.

Jack

Schmattas are great...to wear...for cleaning...over your head if it starts raining...you neva know???
    Quote Originally Posted by .

I've been known to occasionally don a [i
    schmatta[/i] when turning to keep the chips out of my lovely locks...

Pencil in ear all day long. Even when I run to the hardware store. At dinner sometimes, and often while watching T.V. I simply forget it's there. I do buy boxes of 20 about every 3 months though, since my kids usually take them from me in the house.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Wear a hat. Sawmill creek hat. Can't live without a hat.
    Used to have the ol pencil n the ear all time, till I had to return to wearing glasses again. That eliminated the pencil on the ear. Just to clumsy for the ear piece and a pencil both trying to occupy the same spot.
    Got a thousand pencils lying around, and never have one handy, nor sharp.
    No bib or apron. Tried that. Couldn't stand having the string around my neck.
    Tried the small tool puches. Can't stand having all that around my waist, dragging my pants down. Don't have a butt to hold them up anyway.

Steve. Always looking for a pencil.

My apron hangs just inside the door. I keep a 6" rule and a pencil in the top chest pocket... with a block plane, a tape measure, and whatever other job specific tools I happen to need in the lower ones. I also usually have a pencil behind my ear and several scattered about the shop but always seem to be looking for one for some reason.

I also almost always clean and put away all my tools after each session... How about everyone else?

Ron

Wish I could say I put it all away each time.....I think I found the last piece of pizza....a step in the right direction I would say...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Robinson
    My apron hangs just inside the door. I keep a 6" rule and a pencil in the top chest pocket... with a block plane, a tape measure, and whatever other job specific tools I happen to need in the lower ones. I also usually have a pencil behind my ear and several scattered about the shop but always seem to be looking for one for some reason.

I also almost always clean and put away all my tools after each session... How about everyone else?

Ron

Mark

Here is what I wear out in the shop when I am going to be there long enough to make it worth while to wear it.

Steve I couldn't stand the strap around my neck either & heres my answer to the problem.

A modified bucketboss apron. It is sewn onto the top part of a Pair of bib overalls & has a cover to put down over the pockets when machining would cause chips to fall into the pockets. The cover can be held up with velcro when I am doing hand work.

Mark you'll note the pencils in the top pocket of the apron , both a yellow wooden one & a mechanical one as well as a 6" rule. Also you might not be able to see it but there is a carpenter pencil & a yellow pencil down low on the right side. I also carry a bevel square on the right side & a tape measure in the middle of the front as well as a small machinist square & when planing stock for a project a fractional dial caliper. As well as other odds & ends from time to time. I am preparing a small 12 degree block plane to be carried in my apron too.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 02-19-2005 at 9:14 PM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I wear the same bucket bros. apron that Bart does. It was necessary as all of the little shop gremlins steal my @$@#!%@ pencils all the time.

Seriously though, it helps me keep those frequently used items close by. Also keeps the shirts lasting a little longer.

Apron here. Got used to it when I worked as a tool-room machinist. White of course The pencil and 6" scale are there of course.