Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you mark your work?

Do you mark your work?

We've all seen David Marks' gold leaf, Norm's branding iron, and Matt's purpleheart. I'm interested in hearing how many of you try to put a signature element into each of your projects.

It could be a design element, a joinery technique, choice of wood or finish, or even a real signature. Anything that you do, maybe even secretly or subconsiously, to let posterity know it was your craftsmanship.

I'm personally thinking of letting glue squeezeout be my mark. How about the rest of you?

If it comes out great ...I put my stamp on it!...if it is so-so...I randomly pick from SMC members and use theirs....you may be getting credit for some of my so-so stuff
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Darren,
    Never thought about signing my work, probably 'cause I don't think it is good enough except for the fireplace.
    For that reason and the fact that we don't own a digital camera I have not posted pics.

Randy
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

I have an electric branding iron for marking and use it...when I remember to. (The kitchen cabinets are still anonymous...'keep forgetting to bring the dang thing in and deal with it) For turnings, I use pyrography most of the time or if I'm in a hurry, a thin Sharpie...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark as your so-so work is better than mine kindly use my name. Course, the LOML will ask how I got the time go to Ca. without her finding out about it
    I have written a letter outlining my ideas, concerns, reasons and a set of plans describing how and why I built all my cabinets in my shop. That way when the old place it torn down in the far future it will be like a time capsule. I haven't made anything that I've needed to sign yet.
    Jim

I sign and number my work with a Pyrographer. Guess it is just nice that someone could put a name to somthing I made. Just a little ego massage. Also I find my clients like it. Gives it an artsy feel I guess. I get asked all the time by clients if I sign my work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    If it comes out great ...I put my stamp on it!...if it is so-so...I randomly pick from SMC members and use theirs....you may be getting credit for some of my so-so stuff
    Mark you crack me up. I read your posts, and 9 times out of ten you leave me in stiches. It is really fun. Ever thought of being a writer? That is a talent you have.

Yes, I mark it. My initials are JB. With some fiddling, they come out they way they do in the photo below. These letters are about an inch tall, and are made from cherry and yellowheart. I glue them on the furniture in some unobtrusive place -- the back or the bottom or something. I add the date with a sharpie.

I make the letters by first making "bolognas" with the cross sections you see in the photo, and then making lots of slices from the bolognas. I scatter them on a piece of plywood and spray them with finish on one face. One batch covers me for a coupla years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Yeah, like someone would believe that I could do work as good as your mess ups.

I use a branding iron with just my initials and the year.

It is something like this Mark. JKL 2005, just in case.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I use a branding iron. I also sign everything and number it. on special items I write a few words. I also have a book that has most everything I ever made, date, No, and who recieved it.
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    ...I'm personally thinking of letting glue squeezeout be my mark.
    That's sort of the equivalent of illiterate folks in the past signing with an 'X'. I could (and sometimes do) easily forge your signature.

Seriously, I've been just signing with a Sharpie in some inconspicous place. But I keep thinking one of these days I'd like to get a branding iron. I read somewhere of a woodworker that inlaid a coin into their work. Don't remember who it was, but they would find a coin that had the same year as when the piece was made.
    Use the fence Luke

I use an electric branding iron that my wife and son gave me many years ago if the piece is large enough to support it. Otherwise I just sign and date it. Most of the time I also include a penny with the date of the year it was made.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton
    Yes, I mark it. My initials are JB. With some fiddling, they come out they way they do in the photo below. These letters are about an inch tall, and are made from cherry and yellowheart. I glue them on the furniture in some unobtrusive place -- the back or the bottom or something. I add the date with a sharpie.

I make the letters by first making "bolognas" with the cross sections you see in the photo, and then making lots of slices from the bolognas. I scatter them on a piece of plywood and spray them with finish on one face. One batch covers me for a coupla years.
    Jamie that is just too COOL. A very clever and fun idea. Fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    That's sort of the equivalent of illiterate folks in the past signing with an 'X'. I could (and sometimes do) easily forge your signature.

Seriously, I've been just signing with a Sharpie in some inconspicous place. But I keep thinking one of these days I'd like to get a branding iron. I read somewhere of a woodworker that inlaid a coin into their work. Don't remember who it was, but they would find a coin that had the same year as when the piece was made.
    Christian Becksvoort is a woodworker that hides a silver dollar with the year in his pieces. He is a contributing editor at Fine Woodwoking. His work is pretty awesome.

Sometimes I carve it sometimes I brand it. but I always put it there. and I sign them all with a sharpie prior to finish. Who knows maybe some century there' be an auction and it'll talk about a '99 piece from KC wood working signed by keith christopher. LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 02-19-2005 at 10:28 PM.