Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Building an Outdoor Sunburst Dining Table

Brian,

I'd be tempted to work with the curved piece by gluing a thin piece with the same grain orientation to inside of the curve then, once glued, matching its inside surface to the flat end grain of the straight piece.

Piece of cake !

Cheers,

Kent

Awesome work, Brian - as always; have enjoyed following this. If it were me, I'd shim each exposed shoulder with a crescent-shaped wedge. I'd run the grain in the same direction as the curved part - not the stretcher; I just think it'll be less conspicuous that way.

I would NOT fill it with putty or epoxy; I think that'll fall out with seasonal movement pretty quickly.

If you are really averse to this, then the only other thing I can think of is to shave the shoulders of the curved piece to draw the curved piece in. That feels like a lot of work and prayer (no offense )

I'm not half so think as I dumb I am! I figgered it out!

I realized in the middle of the night that I could pull the whole assembly closer to the center. I added 1/4" to the mortises in the middle of the stretcher, cut the ends to shape, and then pulled everything toward the center 1/4".

Another thing I noticed is that the expert who wrote the article and made the plans and video is a heck of a lot more accurate than I am.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Bravo!!

Excellent table by the way. Really enjoyed the photos and tutorial!

Cheers,

Kent

Excellent name, Kent.

Nice fix Brian, helps to step back, take a deep breath and not make hasty decisions. The table is looking GREAT, keep the photo's coming!
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Thumbs up A good day…

It was a good day off today.

I did a lot of draw boring, glueing, and wedging tenons. That was fun.

Even more fun was the marking, hand sawing, and fitting together the hay-rake base with the support structure of the table top. So far so good.

Did I mention I has been a fun day.

My sons friends are over tonight playing Dungeons and Dragons and writing wedding invitations. I really love these folks. Average age about 32. They cook a gourmet meal each week and do the dishes afterwards. Does is get any better than this?

My goal is to get this ready for the October 22 outdoor wedding, so it can be the head table instead of a bunch of partially assembled lumber in everybody's way.

Here are some assembled frame shots.

The long supports go to the end of the starburst pattern on the ends of the tables. The ladders rungs are inset about 1/4" to allow for the difference in thickness of the tile assembly.

So far there is not metal in the structure. I think I will have to use figure 8 fasteners screwing the ends of the ladder to the ends under the table. If I could figure out an all wood way to allow for moisture movement, I would use it.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 09-30-2011 at 1:27 AM.

This is going to be one sweet table Brian.
    Hope you get her all done for the 22nd.
    As a side note real nice save getting that joint to come together..

Human Fly attacks Sunburst Patio Table and leaves a shiny service.

I meant "shiny surface" but I don't know how to edit a title.

Two coats on top, followed by two coats on bottom, followed by as many of the 7 coats on top that I can get on and dry by October 22 wedding.

PS, I do love my daughter's photography.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 10-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.

Mr Kent:

Looking good. Very good.

Fed up with sanding between coats yet? I was by this time.

Kent
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Brian, this is looking fantastic. Congrats on the work. Did you decide on the Epiphane for the finish?

Yes - Epifanes High Gloss.

I want to recommend Scott Holmes' excellent video on brushing varnish. This is very helpful. No, extremely helpful!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZW8d...ature=youtu.be

This is looking beautiful!

Thanks for sharing the process and the progress.

W-Day minus 9 and counting

The whole structure and top is now cut and routed, planed and sanded, mortised and tenoned, draw-bored and wedged, glued and screwed.

Top has two coats. Bottom and leg structure has one coat (50% mineral spirits).
    I need at least one more coat on the bottom and one more on the top (both 25% mineral spirits).

I am really hoping to make time for this tomorrow and the next day so it will have 7 days to dry before the wedding day, October 22.

Final coats will come after the wedding.

It is 101° out right now, but I am avoiding the temptation to do a second coat on the bottom today.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 10-13-2011 at 4:03 PM.

OK......2 weeks after the wedding. I know there are photos out there somewhere of the finished table at the reception.......................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.