Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Router table setup - Kreg or Bench Dog?

Router table setup - Kreg or Bench Dog?

I'm going to buy a new router table setup and I've narrowed it down to two systems:

Kreg - PRS3000 lift, PRS1040 table/fence/stand

Kregtable.jpgKreglift.jpg

Bench Dog - 40-150 lift, 40-302 table/fence/stand

BDlift.jpgBDtable.jpg

These two systems are about $50 apart in price, so that is not an issue. In either case I will be using a PC 7518 motor which both lifts are designed for.

My indecision comes from the following:

1) Kreg's table is MDF with steel supports near the router plate. I can't see that MDF will last anywhere near as long or be as stable as Bench Dog's cast iron table. I'm also concerned about hanging 30 lbs of router/lift from MDF. I really don't want to buy another table in the future.
    2) I like Kreg's fence better. I have their router table fence and it is rock solid. Bench Dog's fence looks a little skimpy.
    3) I've heard good things about both lifts, but Woodpecker (same as Kreg?) owners seem to feel that there is nothing comparable to their lifts.

4) The newer Bench Dog lifts seem to have lost the ability to change bits above the table, which looks easy on the Kreg lift.

In short, I think I'd buy the Kreg setup but the MDF table is really causing me concern. Any thoughts or experiences that would make this decision easier? Anything I haven't thought of?

I have an old bench dog lift and I can't remove the cutter via the top. I thought the new Bench Dog lifts made that possible. I think there are also offset collet wrenches available that help this. If you have not considered it, I'd consider a cast iron extension table for your table saw. There was a fellow on the forum that made them a few years back. You'll have standard size slots, and if you already have extensions on your saw, you won't take up any more room in your shop. I find myself moving my router table quite a bit and would like it to be less in the way. When buying the table and fence beware of finding yourself in a situation where you have to purchase proprietary clamps etc... Bench Dog was very good at designing a system that requires their proprietary pieces. The bench dog lift is pretty nice otherwise. (Not an A+ for the price, probably a B+) The Bench Dog table I bought was a covered MDF table that is heavy, expensive and sags in the middle. The fence is OK, but requires Bench Dog made accessories. It's not a bad system by any means, but if I was doing it again, I'd get an extension table for my table saw, make sure I could remove cutters from the top "Easily," and plan on customizing my table saw fence or making my own that is very easy to clamp to.

I believe the business Jim is referring to is now defunct.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have not seen either table but I can comment on an MDF top. I glued together two 3/4" MDF pieces for the top on my router table and have used it now for 8 years with nary a problem.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I believe the business Jim is referring to is now defunct.
    I think the business was called "Quality Grinding." Do you know if the fellow that made custom tablesaw extensions still does it on the side?

6. Regarding cast iron extensions for the table saw, that are configured as router tables:

I bought one about a year ago. I got mine from MLCS, but there were others available -- IIRC, Rockler has one (probably the Bench Dog version, since Rockler bought Bench Dog).

As router table tops go, the iron ones are pricey, and that price does not include a lift. But the stability is amazing.

I have had the Kreg Router Table and Kreg Lift with PC 7818 for over 2 years in the Florida heat and humidity without an issue. I also added a Rockler Dust Bucket to handel dust collection and Woodpeckers 8-piece Router Plate Insert Ring Set.

I have had no issues with this setup at all.

8. I own the bench dog, it's solid. I can change bits above the table (i forget the model number).

I couldn't recommend it more.

I replaced the top on my radial arm saw with MDF because it was what I had available at the time. That was 4 years ago and the only issue is a little buckling on a corner where I spilled my coffee.

Peachtree sells cast iron router table extensions for the table saw. When I was talking to them, their shipping was based on the dollar amount not the weight, so their top was very attractive. It was available with two different cutouts for the mounting plate, one large enough to handle the Digi-lift (what I was considering at the time).

I have the Kreg and I'm not real happy with it. Too many negatives to mention here but the most aggravating is the three set screw throat plate level adjusters that make it like a tripod. push on any one side of it and it pops up and very difficult to keep level. The screw threads are loose and they vibrate out of position. I went back to my homemade aluminum plate as being better than the Kreg.
    Last edited by Harvey Pascoe; 08-10-2011 at 12:25 PM.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Kreg table, but the caster set they sell for it is top shelf! I've got a set on my table saw and on my planer and I'm jonesing for another set for my jointer.

Thanks for the input so far. I visited my local woodcraft and checked out the Kreg table. The surface is nice and the fit/finish seem very good. However, the steel supports are not attached to the table - they're just screwed to the mdf. This will probably reduce sagging in the table but it is not as good a system as I had thought. Also, the fence is not as nice as I had expected - it does not move smoothly and deflects quite a bit unless you lock it down with the knob at the end. So far, score one for the bench dog setup.

Thanks also for the suggestions that I add an extension to my table saw. This is a good idea but, without getting into details, it just wouldn't work for me. As an FYI, though, Bench Dog does make a cast iron TS extension. I'm sure I've seen others as well.

I posted in D&D a few weeks back - I picked up the Bench Dog iron top/fence and metal leg set for $300 shipped from Allprotools.com. Haven't had a chance to assemble but there are deals out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Thanks for the input so far. I visited my local woodcraft and checked out the Kreg table. The surface is nice and the fit/finish seem very good. However, the steel supports are not attached to the table - they're just screwed to the mdf. This will probably reduce sagging in the table but it is not as good a system as I had thought. Also, the fence is not as nice as I had expected - it does not move smoothly and deflects quite a bit unless you lock it down with the knob at the end. So far, score one for the bench dog setup.

Thanks also for the suggestions that I add an extension to my table saw. This is a good idea but, without getting into details, it just wouldn't work for me. As an FYI, though, Bench Dog does make a cast iron TS extension. I'm sure I've seen others as well.
    Sounds like that fence was not adjusted at all. the fence has many nylon adjustments to tame down that movement