Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dear Mods

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Creech View Post
    Back to the topic about things getting out of hand. I frequently hear someone say "This discussion is going south" which implies something unpleasant. Why is that? I have no objection to going South. Any ideas?
    They mean Florida, Jim, which really isn't a part of the South, it's just sort of stuck on the bottom of the south.

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    Belinda,
    How about "Red Beans & Rice"?
    Yessir, I make and eat Red Beans & Rice - not really a traditional country dish but at least a southern one. I devoted a lot of time to making RB&R once upon a time when I was newly married and his family was coming for a visit. Red Beans made right takes some time. Learned the lesson that not everyone likes RB&R when my SIL turned up her nose and refused to eat. I can't remember what I whipped up for her but I managed something. Boy, was I embarassed.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Now my paternal grandmother made a fine batch of crackin' bread. My wife makes a great pot of red beans and rice. Of course I think she imports hers from Zatarrains in Louisiana.

and for the record.....there's a slow cooker on the counter right now with a ham bone and beans in it cooking. Yellow corn bread will be baked later today.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Now my paternal grandmother made a fine batch of crackin' bread. My wife makes a great pot of red beans and rice. Of course I think she imports hers from Zatarrains in Louisiana.

and for the record.....there's a slow cooker on the counter right now with a ham bone and beans in it cooking. Yellow corn bread will be baked later today.
    Can you pick me up at the airport? Actually, the Zatarrains ten minute variety is pretty good. There I also a mix by them that I can find anymore - don't remember the name - that had pineapple in with the rice, just add chicken or shrimp. It was mightly good with shrimp added.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Belinda, was it shrimp or crawdads ?
    did you add sugar to you cornbread ?
    I do not like beans with ham hock, the beans taste much better if they are cooked with jowl bacon

Ray,

It was shrimp. I do love crawdads though.
    Sugar in cornbread is an abomination.
    I cook my beans with lean smoked ham.

Bella Terra

I be a hardheaded Yankee born and bred. I do admit to likin' red beans and rice and most Cajun food. I particularly liked going down to Savannah a couple of times and enjoying a Low country shrip boil and oyster roast. At the ones I went to the guys would drive in with a couple or 3 pickups hauling trailers. One trailer had the beer kegs with 4 taps on it. The next trailer the guys would unload sawhorses and lay a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood on it with 2 big holes cut in it. They'd put trash cans under the holes and then lay shuckin' knives on the plywood along with squeeze bottles of sauce. They'd dump bushels of roasted oysters on the ply tables. This was the appetizer course. The third pickup and trailer had the propane burners and the big pots which they'd fill with red beans and rice, cut up sausage, 1/4 ears of corn and the shrimp. They'd boil up the whole mess and serve it up. I'm salivating just thinking about the great feed. Great memories.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    I be a hardheaded Yankee born and bred. I do admit to likin' red beans and rice and most Cajun food. I particularly liked going down to Savannah a couple of times and enjoying a Low country shrip boil and oyster roast. At the ones I went to the guys would drive in with a couple or 3 pickups hauling trailers. One trailer had the beer kegs with 4 taps on it. The next trailer the guys would unload sawhorses and lay a 4 x 4 sheet of plywood on it with 2 big holes cut in it. They'd put trash cans under the holes and then lay shuckin' knives on the plywood along with squeeze bottles of sauce. They'd dump bushels of roasted oysters on the ply tables. This was the appetizer course. The third pickup and trailer had the propane burners and the big pots which they'd fill with red beans and rice, cut up sausage, 1/4 ears of corn and the shrimp. They'd boil up the whole mess and serve it up. I'm salivating just thinking about the great feed. Great memories.
    You do be yankeefied shore enough cause no self respecting southerner would every combine red beans and rice with low country boil. Low country boil has shrimp and/or crawdads, corn, sausage, red potatoes (and sometimes onion), crab boil, and a couple of lemon halves thrown in for good measure. Other than that, your description is pretty much how we throw a party around here. Come on back and refresh your memory. My best friend is a Connecticut transplant and she speaks fluent Yankee.

Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by ray hampton View Post
    Belinda, was it shrimp or crawdads ?
    did you add sugar to you cornbread ?
    I do not like beans with ham hock, the beans taste much better if they are cooked with jowl bacon
    According to Wikipedia, Louisiana produces about 98% of the crawfish consumed in the US, of which about 70% is consumed locally. And maybe 90% of the world crop. We do not call them crayfish and rarely will you hear them called crawdads. They are crawfish - and sometimes mudbugs.

That's like pecans. The yankees come down to New Orleans and ask where they can find some pee-cans. We point them to the nearest rest room.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Louisiana produces about 98% of the crawfish consumed in the US, of which about 70% is consumed locally. And maybe 90% of the world crop. We do not call them crayfish and rarely will you hear them called crawdads. They are crawfish - and sometimes mudbugs.

That's like pecans. The yankees come down to New Orleans and ask where they can find some pee-cans. We point them to the nearest rest room.

Mike
    Mike, I normally call the tasty morsels crawfish, just going with the flow by calling them crawdads.

Funny about pecans because everyone I know from the souths pronounces it peecan, not pecahn - that's the Yankee pronounciation.

Bella Terra

I forgot about the potatoes Belinda. Sorry. Maybe the red beans and rice were served separately, but they were part of the feed. It's been about 20 years now so my memory has probably faded a bit.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Belinda, you're loosing your touch. I thought this would go on for a couple hundred posts. You must need a refresher course in aggiating(sp) the mods.
    55 posts in this thing plus mine. I am disappointed.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

Mike
    I alway heard them call crawdads in my part of the USA AND as for the peecans, I am not a yankee but I call them peecan not pecon

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moore View Post
    Belinda, you're loosing your touch. I thought this would go on for a couple hundred posts. You must need a refresher course in aggiating(sp) the mods.
    55 posts in this thing plus mine. I am disappointed.
    I fear you may be right Randy. I have been pretty busy at work so I haven't been able to devote adequate time to the thread. Although, considering the original topic and the fact that we are now discussing whether tasty critters that live in mud are crawfish or crawdads, I'd say I haven't completely lost my touch.
    Last edited by Belinda Barfield; 08-20-2011 at 7:50 AM.

Bella Terra

You guys are the bouncers. When I start creating a ruckus and you're having to work to keep my posts in line just shut me down
    LOL!
    Somehow - it seems like every topic/thread ends up being a discussion of what to eat.

You know Rich, I've been thinking maybe Keith out to add another sub forum - Food for Woodworking.

Bella Terra