Thread: I need a small air compressor

I need a small air compressor

I need a small air compressor for putting air in the tires of bikes as well as keeping the car tires properly inflated, with no plans yet to do anything woodworking related but maybe I would like to have that option down the road.

I am also looking for something quiet and not too big where it takes up too much room - does anyone have recommendations? Thanks - Tom.

Check your local HD? I got a small 5 gal PC pancake. Came with 3 nail guns. The guns are fairly good, unless you're a pro, then they aren't that great. Good for the home builder though. Cheap enough if they break go get a nother one. The pancake compressor is nothing special. Can't say anything bad about it. It's really only to run air guns. It has a hard time with my bigger SUV tires. Has to cycle a couple times. It may work for you. They sell the compressor alone, but it's not that great a deal. They may have a Labor Day Sale. I think that's when I got the 3 gun kit.

Senco makes a small air compressor that will fill your needs and run most nail guns. It is about $120 on Amazon. It is the quietest compressor I have ever owned. Very light weight also.

Craig McCormick

My current compressor is a Senco PC1010, and I like it. It is small enough to be easy to carry into a home without whacking anything. It is quiet. It is big enough to run pin nailers and finish nailers. It also can inflate car tires, although not super-quickly. And the price is good too -- $120 or so.

TOM, I got a silent compressor that I will give you if you lived close to pick it up

Check out the latest issue of Wood Magazine - they just did a review of several.
    Proud to Hate Michigan Athletics Since 1981

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I just bought one of those small Senco compressors for its light weight. It is quiet by small compressor standards, and I have several to judge by, and light, works well.

I had a PC budget compressor and gave it away as it was so obnoxiously noisey, as well as being inefficent. It ran all the time and the cycles were too long. That was a couple of years ago, so what they have now may be different.

I have a Hitachi that has seen little use as the regulator/pressure switch is a piece of junk and have just not had the time or inclination to change it all out. Compressor seems fine but no manner of adjustment will make the pressure switch work right. runs pressure up to the blowoff limit and then cycles again and again.

Larry

I have a PC oilless and it's LOUD. Works fine otherwise. I think I paid $99 for it. Wish I had checked first and found a quieter one, even at a higher price. I mostly use it for portable work because I have air in my shop. And when I use it at someone else's house, I put it outside and run the air hose inside. But it's still LOUD, LOUD, LOUD!

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you're not averse to Harbor Freight . . . grab that 20% off coupon and keep an eye on their sales. I got a little Cambell Hausfield compressor for under $50. I have a big oiled compressor in my basement shop and there was no way I was going to lug that up to the garage, so I got the little 2 gallon and it works perfectly. Airing up car tires and kids toys . . . etc. I even used it for crown/base/chair molding. It is loud though . . . but for how much it actually gets used, it's not a big deal.

-Brian

i have the smallest thomas model. it's more expensive than the PC pancake but it's pretty easy to pick up and carry around and it's not as annoyingly loud.

A few of us here are real happy w/the Ingersoll Rand twin tank "hot dog".
    Mine cost me $299 @ Tractor Supply.
    Kent picked his up on Amazon for $260-something.

Good machines. Not as quiet as the Makita, but built for the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    A few of us here are real happy w/the Ingersoll Rand twin tank "hot dog".
    Mine cost me $299 @ Tractor Supply.
    Kent picked his up on Amazon for $260-something.

Good machines. Not as quiet as the Makita, but built for the long run.
    Yep

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian D Anderson View Post
    If you're not averse to Harbor Freight . . . grab that 20% off coupon and keep an eye on their sales. I got a little Cambell Hausfield compressor for under 50.

-Brian
    HF no longer takes 20% off coupons on compressors, or anything Cambell Hausfield. Says so right on the coupon. Woodcraft is clearancing a compressor for $99.99 right now. Sears also sells same compressor for about the same, with it being on sale for as little as $79.99 some times. I had one, but some one else wanted it worse than they wanted me to have it (stolen.) It was a good little compressor. I would steer clear of the PC pancakes. They are noisy and use a vacuum cleaner motor.

I'm of the thought that Thomas makes the best small compressors around. I have the twin tank portable model. It is amazing. But at a cost, $600. They were made in Wisconsin but I understand that they are moving production to Louisiana as I recall.

Scott in Montana

I have Makita MAC700 compressor and love it.
    It runs at 1720 rpm, is and oiled compressor, and is VERY quiet.
    The only downside is that it is heavy, but it is built like a tank.
    I would not buy a pancake compressor, they are light but have a limited life and are "disposable".
    The Makita is less than $200 and should last a liftime.
    Dave