Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Hose

Air Hose

Well I've picked out which portable air compressor I'm getting, now I need some advice on air hose. I don't like the heavy rubber stuff like Goodyear Wingfoot. I was thinking Flexeel or Flexzilla. Anybody have good or bad advice/opinions on either hose?

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Flexeel is top notch-I highly recommend it. The 1/4" is all you need for nailguns and such, if your painting/spraying get the 3/8".

Ditto on the Flexeel. I use it hard on site and it holds up well. It takes a little bit of use to get it broke in, tangles a bit till it is used, but after that it is great. With 20 feet of hose hanging when you are working overhead you will really appreciate its light weight.

Larry

Larry

Our local Menards has what looks like a generic type of Flexeel hose. It's a reinforced polyurethane, do you think it would be just as good?

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

HD sells Amflo poly hose, in both 50' and 100' sections. There is very little difference in costs. The ends are reusable, which means you could make a custom length of hose. Enco (use-enco.com) almost always has the Coilhose Pneumatic Polyurethane self storing (slinky) sets on sale in their sales flyer. These are quality industrial hoses, not cheap stuff from China.

Flexeel is my choice and has been for years. I'm very satisfied with their hoses.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have only owned one hose that wasn't flexeel and its the only one I don't have anymore.

A carpenter friend of mine has done a lot of work for me and noted he uses the below air hose for years. I bought one and really like it. Cheap, lite weight, no too bad to kink, lays flat. Something else I did, that is a use for your old heavy hoses, if you have your air system piped around the shop, is to cut them into 6 to 10 foot lengths and use them at varies air stations. I have 3 in constant service, the short length prevents the kinking and allows easy storage.
    http://www.lowes.com/pd_4254-67702-19412QP_4294895795_4294933768_?productId=3033412&N s=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_ sold|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Air%2BTool%2BHoses_42 94895795_4294933768_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_ nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=

Last edited by Josh Bowman; 08-13-2011 at 7:12 AM.

How about quick disconnect fittings. Is there one that leaks less than others?

Disconnects are wear items. I used to buy expensive ones from Grainger, but for the last few years, I've been buying the 4/5 piece brass sets from HF. Catch them on sale for a couple bucks and stock up. Last time I was in HF, it seems that they have changed over to steel. Most likely due to costs of brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Well I've picked out which portable air compressor I'm getting.............
    Wanna tell us the punch line?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Jerry

I have had several people comment on the fact that they have a hose "Like" mine and how they do not like it. When questioned it is a copy from a box store. Buy the original. They developed it, and you will probably only buy it once. Why be annoyed by an imitation? Be a proud owner of the real McCoy!

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Be a proud owner of the real McCoy!
    Wouldn't that be the "real Flexeel" in this case??? I don't think that McCoy makes hoses.... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Either that or reeeeeeel, Jim...

I have three Coilhoses; one 1/2"x50', one 3/8"x30' and one 3/8"x20'. I got the first one to replace a cheap coiling hose that always used to kink and bind on itself. With the Coilhose, no problem. Flexeel has a great reputation also; I just haven't workjed with it.

With the coiled hoses be aware that what you are buying is the length of straight hose that gets coiled up and you should never pull it straight. A good rule of thumb is to limit yourself to 75-80% of the "length" to ensure it coils back neatly.

This makes my 50' really about 38 feet, my 30' really about 22 ft and my 20' really about 15 feet "max".

What I've learned in practice is that after about 50% it starts pulling back pretty good, so I consider 50% my own room layout limit when planning coiled hose "runs".

Jim
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Using off-brand hose

FWIW, take a look at the reviews of the hose on Lowes site.

Four liked it and two thought it was sucky. You might look at their comments to see if it applies to you.

I try to buy only once. Overall, the waste of my time and the sour taste in my mouth when I get a POS exceeds the sum of the pleasure I get in saving a few bucks going cheap on those things that work OK. YMMV.
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!