Thread: Brake Dust on wheels

Brake Dust on wheels

We just got another vehicle for work, a ford truck about 8 years old. The front wheels were filthy when we got it, we cleaned them, and 2 days later, they were completely black again. Someone mentioned the pads were too soft and we should switch to a ceramic pad.

If it took a week or two or three, I'd be happy with it the way it is, but I really don't want our company truck to look like crap all the time and need to have the front wheels cleaned every other day.

It stops on a dime now. I love the way it stops. Better than our last truck.

Anyone got any suggestions for resolving that?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Harder pads will solve that to a degree, but it will increase stopping distance, too. You could go with racing pads, which are designed for high heat, but they also have a tendency to squeek until warmed up with some hard braking.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

The original oem pads on my 2005 F-150 did the same thing. When the pads needed replacing they were replaced with Motorcraft semi-metallic pads and that made a huge difference in the brake dust problem.

On LOML's 2006 Mustang we had ceramic pads installed and that reduced the brake dust even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Engel View Post
    The original oem pads on my 2005 F-150 did the same thing. When the pads needed replacing they were replaced with Motorcraft semi-metallic pads and that made a huge difference in the brake dust problem.

On LOML's 2006 Mustang we had ceramic pads installed and that reduced the brake dust even more.
    Yep, what Dan and Mark said, ceramic pads will help out your issue, those vintage F150's were really bad for brake dust. May not cure it but it will help considerably
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Harder pads will solve that to a degree, but it will increase stopping distance, too. You could go with racing pads, which are designed for high heat, but they also have a tendency to squeek until warmed up with some hard braking.
    I use Hawk pads that are like this but they create tons of dust.

Typical issue of most composite pads. I did put ceramics on the wife's van last year, and they seem to be dust free. There are shields you can put on, but I worry about them not allowing heat to dissipate properly. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Typical issue of most composite pads. I did put ceramics on the wife's van last year, and they seem to be dust free. There are shields you can put on, but I worry about them not allowing heat to dissipate properly. Jim.
    Like Jim said, there are shields you can put behind the mags. Can't image they would cause a problem, no different than having hub caps. Also like mentioned ceramic pads are supposed to be low dust.

Wheels are designed to look nice, not to keep the brake dust in, so some are worse than others. One thing that does help a little is a good 2-3 layers of a ceramic based car polish, it's similar to wax but better, and helps repel the dust and make it easier to clean off. Ceramic Polymer Sealant is considered permanent and not cheap, but look for something less expensive at the auto parts store with the wax. Actually, even Glass-x would probably help, but it doesn't last long in the wet weather.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    I had an '03 F150 that had the dust problem. I now have an '11 and no problems and it seems to stop just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Wheels are designed to look nice, not to keep the brake dust in, so some are worse than others. One thing that does help a little is a good 2-3 layers of a ceramic based car polish, it's similar to wax but better, and helps repel the dust and make it easier to clean off. Ceramic Polymer Sealant is considered permanent and not cheap, but look for something less expensive at the auto parts store with the wax. Actually, even Glass-x would probably help, but it doesn't last long in the wet weather.
    Just to be clear, Joe is saying polish for the wheels, not the pads. Don't polish/wax the pads!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Like Jim said, there are shields you can put behind the mags. Can't image they would cause a problem, no different than having hub caps....
    Absolutely wrong. Sorry Peter. The shields have air scoops than generate an inward flow. The car design is creating a proper outward flow to keep brake components cool. Unless you like warped rotors and pulsating brakes, stay away from brake dust shields.