Thread: DNA vs Turners Choice

DNA vs Turners Choice

Sweet Gum seems to warp worse than any wood I use when drying. With that in mind thought I would try some Turners Choice after reading about it from several sources. They all implied that you could leave the roughout less than 10% thickness because it would hardly warp and would be dry in 3 days.
    I soaked a 15" green Elm bowl in it for 24hrs. and it did as advertised and warped maybe 1/4" but took 12 days to quit loosing weight.
    Thought I had found the ticket for drying Sweet Gum, so I roughed out a 17" Sweet Gum bowl and put it in a barrel of Turners Choice.
    The roughout weighed 14# going in and came out weighing 15#. At $200.00 per 5 gals. this could get expensive but would be worth it to me if it wouldn't warp much like the Elm I tried.
    As you can see it didn't work on the Sweet Gum as stated.
    Also took 14 days to quit losing weight.
    At $200.00 per 5 gals. vs $56.00 for DNA I think I will stick with the DNA.
    DNA bowl when dried was 14 1/2 by 13 3/8.
    TC bowl was 16 1/2 by 15 7/16.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I hadn't even heard of that Turner's Choice stuff till you mentioned it. But, at the cost and your test results, I'm with ya - staying with the DNA.

I doubt there is a power on this earth that can stop gum from warping. It moves if you look at it, like a bowl of worms!!

I tried DNA several years ago and switched to turners choice about two and a half years ago because I hated the smell and was concerned about the flammability on DNA ( I heat with wood) . I have purchased two five gallon pails over that time and turned hundreds of bowls and still have over three gallons left. I am guessing that it adds less than a buck per large bowl.
    I have less shrinkage and cracking than I had with dna or anchor seal. I can finish turn after a week so it really cuts down on the waiting time.
    That said , I have never turned sweet gum (though I would like to) so I don't know how it dries.
    Tom

Tom, mine figured out to $5.oo for a 17" bowl and I can't stand the cedar oil smell.

My solution is to rough out as many bowls as I can and always have a lot of wood on hand to keep turning new pieces to put on the shelves. I have not tried any of the "LIQUID" soak drying or stabilizing methods, I just don't see the need as of yet. I guess I am never in a hurry to get anything finished, and I make sure that when I take a comission I either have a dry or semi dry blank or one of the roughouts on the shelf will work for the project. If a potential customer comes with thier own wood I let them know that it will take as long as it takes to get it done right. I must have very patient customers or just lucky!

No juice for me,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

Sweet gum "sap wood" will warp like few other woods--almost unbelieveable. however the heartwood is totally different. absolutely bueatiful --as pretty as rosewood. there was a big rush on it in the 50's and 60's for high grade paneling and furniture. a hugh amt was sold in europe as "satin walnut". i've been fortunate enough to harvest and turn numerous pieces with large hearts---it is a different wood. does not seem to warp-crack badly at all. cuts good and dries good. the sap-wood is georgous if spalted right. all colors and streaks and the warping is a bit less. i always rough out and anchor seal thorouthly--double around the rims and bottoms. i probably avg. 70% usable pieces doing that. i dry these 8-12 months, don't rush it. l have had some found with red line spalting and used the cuttings to inoculate newly cut gum sucessfully. the only red line spalting i have every seen. just rambling--------------old forester

Blog Entries
    Have I missed something? I soak in DNA, and then back the rounded side then let it set for many months before turning. You mean you can turn a green bowl in 14 days to completion?
    Have a Nice Day!

A cautionary note about DNA. I do use it, and it does cut drying time, BUT>>>> It is extremely toxic. Please read the following: www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/rCSL26.pdf. It does contain methanol, and you should use it in a well ventilated area and would do well to use gloves.

Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

You can Jon if you don't mind the price or the smell of cedar oil.
    The smell is just when putting in and taking out of the Turners Choice.
    Can't smell on bowl but for a couple of days.
    You also don't have to wrap the roughout . Just put it on a shelf and in a couple of weeks return.
    Last edited by bobby lynn; 08-12-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Jon, I've been using the DNA soak for four years now. My routine is to soak, then wrap for two weeks. I would say that after the two weeks 95% of my roughouts are ready for final turning. The ones I'm a bit iffy on will just sit around a few days more. Only one bad experience and that was with a piece of apple.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

I have used DNA four times now on walnut bowls. It worked really well - finished in 3 weeks from soaking. Now here is my problem with DNA - the walnut turned the DNA very dark and I put a box elder bowl in the DNA and it came out out a lot darker than it went in. One week later it is still dark. I will probably finish turning in the next week or so - will see what happens. Has anyone else had problems with the DNA changing the color of the wood?

I have been using Turners Choice(cedar shield) for over two years also about eight gallon still have three. I can't speak to sweet gum. I rough turn an 11" x 4.5" bowl to about 3/4" thick through out soak 24 hrs. and dry for a week. Very little warp no cracks with maple. walnut, oaks. especially cherry. I have not has as good results from dogwood
    Peter