Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Chest part 3 ...sliding trays

Tool Chest part 3 ...sliding trays

parts 1 and 2 can be found here:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...y-wish-to-pass
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post1740111

Hi,

I finally finished the sliding trays, again made from free-to-me scraps (solid cherry) that were too thick at 7/8", but they had a lacquer finish on both faces, and I decided not to (power) plane them down. The tray bottoms are 1/2" cherry ply, unfinished and thin cork roll is laid in - no glue.

The finished chest with all the tools is much heavier than I thought, and I expected it to be heavy. Still waiting for the cast iron pulls to be back in stock at Lee Valley... (patience, grasshopper)

The trays slide well considering their weight, as I oiled and waxed them.

Now that I'm done, and having purchased The Anarchist's Tool Chest, I've realized the error of my ways in making it out of plywood and mostly with power tools, and so now I am waiting for an opportune time to break the news to SWMBO that I must begin construction on it's replacement. If you live west of Allentown PA, the screaming should not wake you..pay it no mind.

I went crazy with pics. As I understand it, some folks here get some strange pleasure out of looking at old tools, never understood it myself.

-Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Pedisich; 08-11-2011 at 11:55 PM.

Some additional pics, forgive the duplicate views.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Nice work. My back would ache after a few hours with the chest style of tool storage.

My other problem is not having as much storage as things to store.

It is getting better though.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That looks great! Is the chest intended to move frequently or rarely?

Mark,

I move it around my garage , and the chest lifts off of the base stucture, as it's just gravity holding it there. I have the small cast iron wheels like Chris Schwarz used (I built my chest before buying his book, and then found out we picked the same casters!) and they are 'crunchy' rolling across my cement floor, so I may switch to larger red urethane wheels.

Or, if I win the lottery, I'll get a shop with fir floors...

Pete

A fitting place for some nice tools... Nice work on the tool chest Peter.

Very nice. Dresses up the tool display too.

Hi Peter,

great Chest, nic tools. I would be very proud, if i had made it.

Cheers
    Pedder

Blog Entries
    Peter, very nice work! And I for one really enjoy the picture of old tools -- looks like you have a great collection there for quality work. I hope you enjoy your new tool chest -- nothing like the satisfaction of using a "tool" you built yourself.

All the best, Mike

Blog Entries
    I for one really enjoy the picture of old tools
    I also like the pictures of tools. As to old, there seems to be only a dozen or so that are older than me. Of course, I have not been fully rehabbed or fettled lately.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pete, that's a very nice tool chest. I like the tray idea too. I was curious about your statement related to plywood "I've realized the error of my ways in making it out of plywood ". What exactly is the error? Plywood is a perfect material for something like this isn't it?

Pat, after I built it I purchased The Anarchists Tool Chest, and then I realized it would have been much nicer made of pine and dovetailed and left unfinished inside. But I certainly can't complain, I'm very fortunate to be able to have the chest and tools.

I was half joking also, and after waiting for a list of projects that were put on hold while I worked on this chest SWMBO would lose it if I were to start another. If I did start another it would have to be in another state.

-Pete

Thanks for sharing you pictures, looks really nice - great work

Peter, If you want to see some incredible joiners chests check out Jim Tolpin's book "The Toolbox Book."

Really nice work on your piece BTW. In terms of storage trays, one example in the book orients the tool trays 90 degrees to what is typical, so essentially the trays are riding on rails attached to the long sides of the chest. Seems to get a bit more storage out of it and says they slide more freely and don't bind as much.
    Just an idea.

PJS

I just read the Anarchists Tool Chest and I am betting The Schwarz would approve fully of what you did. I know he has moved to almost all hand tools, but he doesn't preach that everyone do the same. Plywood or not, you made an excellent chest certainly in the spirit of the book and I would only build a new one when/if this one falls apart - which doesn't look likely at all.

P.S. I have some of the same tools. Note "some", meaning two or three. Certainly not all! :-)