Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What am i Missing?? need advice on TS Ripping issue

Hi guys,

I am constantly having the same problem, and while I figure it's due to the way I'm feeding it, perhaps it's also compounded by my saw blade.

It does seem to go away with a featherboard, set starting slightly before the blade and extending to the middle of the blade area. But if I don't use the featherboard, it starts drifting, unless I lean over and hold it steady from the side as it first passes the blade.

Now, I just have a cheap Ryobi portable saw that I use for general work. I've noticed about the Ryobi, that when you start it, the blade seems to jerk into position a bit. Maybe it's the junky nature of the saw, and blade doesn't stay steady. I don't seem to remember having as much trouble ripping on my older stationary Craftsman contractor saw. It's hard to find a good clamping surface on this Ryobi too, so attaching a featherboard for certain cuts in hard to do sometimes.

Do other people find their portable saws pushing the board away from the fence also? I find myself often allowing a 1/16 or so extra on cuts to accomodate for the saw slightly pushing the board away and cutting it narrower.
    Last edited by Joe Fabbri; 08-12-2011 at 6:10 PM.

Raise the blade up to the highest point. Check both measurements from either end of the blade back to the miter slot. I 'd bet that is out slightly. I bought a King table saw here in Canada with the same problem. There are 4 bolts on my arbor base that allow for slight adjustments. Not sure how the Grizz is built since i have never owned one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Metz View Post
    Thanks to everyone input so far... this problem is driving me crazy!.. here's what i have tired based on input above.
    I Start the initial cuts with a jointed edge of the board, consecutive cuts after are not jointed as i am using a glue line rip blade, that normally cuts very well.
    My Fence is true and flat using a lee valley straightedge.
    I have not used a featherboard as of yet, but i was thinking of that method as well.
    I have cleaned the pitch and resin off all my blades and same results.
    The alignment of the miter slot/blade/fence is all at .000 difference.

I am going to check the arbor run out of the blade, (i checked on initial setup, but not since)

I also failed to mention earlier that when the blade is cutting further in the wood, it is also burning the wood in the middle of the board but both ends are clean and smooth.
    Once again thanks for all your help, and look forward to more ideas
    It looks like you have done a good job of checking all of your alignments. With everything aligned, I have found two things that can cause this. The blade, wood movement during feeding. Besides the feather boards, if you are using out feed rollers, make sure they are aligned to the table and square to edge. If one end is closer than the other, it will cause the board to walk.

In my case the solution was (and still is) a featherboard. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fabbri View Post
    ... a featherboard, set starting slightly before the blade and extending to the middle of the blade area...
    Doesn't that cause the off-cut to 'rock and roll' after the cut is complete? I've never tried it this way figuring that would be the case. I always end my featherboard just before the blade.
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

I don't have an exact science yet to using the featherboard, because I'm still pretty new to all this. I can't recall how the off-cut piece reacts exactly, though I probably haven't experienced any real issue with it.

Rethinking what I do, though, I probably don't go as far in as I originally said. I probably put it less than half way into the blade, and two inches or so before the blade (the featherboard being a 1x6 board)). In general, with the issue of pulling away from the fence that I get past the blade, I try to make sure it's pressed as tight as possible as far along as possible. I don't really need too much pressure before I start the cut, unless I'm ripping something long and it's hard to get started tight to the fence.

Maybe it's not the right way to do it, I don't know. I try not to keep the featherboard too snug, though, in order to prevent any problems. But, I'm curious to hear what other says about the proper location of the featherboard, if there is one.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Fabbri; 08-14-2011 at 5:12 PM.

It's risky to lean over the blade, better to get stuck in and sort out whatever issue is preventing a more normal feeding procedure.

It'd make sense to try a different blade in case it's anything to do with one being a dud, and to make sure the riving knife etc is lined up with the blade and not too thick for it. It sounds though very much like the sort of thing likely to follow if the blade is toed out too much at the rear from the line of the fence - or that the fence is deflecting or is aligned away from the blade enough that it's producing a similar effect.

Check that the fence is strong enough that it isn't springing side to side under the pressure of holding the wood against it too, and that it's locked down. if the fence is flimsy it may be possible to get a clamp on to hold down the rear.

The burning may also suggest an blade/fence alignment issue - if the blade is offset enough relative to the line of travel of the wood as determined by the fence the sides of the teeth at the trailing edge may rub the cut.
    standard to set the blade parallel to the mitre slot, and to then set the rip fence so that the rear of the blade is parallel or perhaps a thou or two further out than the front. Check for runout in the arbour and saw blade while you are there too.

There's lots of write ups about on how to align a saw. Here's a Wood Whisperer video that avoids the need for fancy dial gauges and the like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxRSa...feature=relmfu
    Last edited by ian maybury; 08-14-2011 at 5:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Fabbri View Post
    I don't have an exact science yet to using the featherboard, because I'm still pretty new to all this. I can't recall how the off-cut piece reacts exactly, though I probably haven't experienced any real issue with it.

Rethinking what I do, though, I probably don't go as far in as I originally said. I probably put it less than half way into the blade, and two inches or so before the blade (the featherboard being a 1x6 board)). In general, with the issue of pulling away from the fence that I get past the blade, I try to make sure it's pressed as tight as possible as far along as possible. I don't really need too much pressure before I start the cut, unless I'm ripping something long and it's hard to get started tight to the fence.

Maybe it's not the right way to do it, I don't know. I try not to keep the featherboard too snug, though, in order to prevent any problems. But, I'm curious to hear what other says about the proper location of the featherboard, if there is one.

Joe
    Hi Joe,

You definitely don't want the feather board pushing the waste piece against the blade. Depending on the piece being cut, this could cause the waste piece to kick back at you. Do a search for my recent thread on kickback. I have a really bad scar on my forehead that proves the TS can throw wood at you with incredible force.

Plus, there's really no benefit to having the feather board positioned that way since the workpiece is on the other side of the blade.

Is the jointed edge of the board dead straight before the first rip? And is this same edge straight after ripping the stock? Does the kerf get wider than the blade when you are half way through the board? Clean cut at the start and end but burned in the middle indicate some stress being relieved when cutting. When I need dead straight rips I usually rip a bit wide and re joint and re rip to final dimension.

Have you checked the arbor for run-out? If you have a dial indicator -- you used it to check for parallel right? -- then a magnetic base is all that you'll need in checking for run-out.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for confirming this. Thinking about it when writing my response to Damon, it did seem problematic, because it would jamb up the blade. I don't recall having had many issues with it this way, so the only thing I can think of is that I keep the featherboard pretty loose and it doesn't become any issue. Or it's set even more before the blade than I can realize.

Regardless, now I'm going to pay more attention to this and keep it away from the blade area altogether.

Yes, I know how bad a kickback can be. The other day I was ripping an angle on a 2x6. It was a short piece, and I didn't have any outfeed on the table. Well, it tipped on me at the end, and at the end I couldn't push it through to finish the cut, and it shot back like a bullet. It cracked the end of my pushed stick. Luckily I have the habit of standing to one side of the saw, and not directly behind it. Since then, I've been wearing a full face shield that I use for grinding. I only occasionally used it in the past, but now I want to try to use it all the time.

Thanks guys,

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Fabbri; 08-15-2011 at 11:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Joe Fabbri;1758038a featherboard, set starting slightly before the blade and extending to the middle of the blade area[/QUOTE]

Anyone else have a near-heart attack when they read this?

The OP's problem prompted the usual reaction of questioning alignment; that was my initial suspicion. Since that seems not to be the problem, I would turn to technique. You should not have to muscle your material through the cut. If the face and fence-edge have been jointed flat and perpendicular, your material should move through the path without issue. If you have not face and edge jointed the material and are relying on "factory" edges things get unpredictable. You may be able to bend the material to your will via featherboards on the fence pushing down and on the table (ahead of the blade) pushing toward the fence but, I prefer properly prepared material. Also, frustration can lead to over-focusing on one part of your technique and sabotaging yourself as to overall result.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Peter, I have read the other posters replies to you problem, I think the problem may be a crappy blade on the saw. If it is an original blade that came with the saw....change it out for a better quality blade and the problem probably disappear. The blade that came with the saw is a basic blade not designed for quality cuts in my opinion and they aren't my choice to produce good clean cuts!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Metz View Post
    I have checked for blade/fence parallelism and both are at .000 when using a dial indicator.
    Set the blade parallel to the miter slot and the fence parallel to the same mite slot if you haven't already done that.

Then I would get a set of Griptite magnetic feather boards and mount them as shown in the photo2000.jpg. They offer a roller mounted on the side for ripping, get that roller. The one mounted sideways will continuously bias your board toward the fence and keep it there. I have a set and use them all the time. I rarely see a tooth mark on my rip cuts and it is hard to tell the ripped edge from the jointed edge using a Freud rip blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I definitely like the idea of having some kind of feather board behind the blade... problem with that setup is that you won't be able to use most blade guards with any kind of feather board or hold down when you're doing narrow rip cuts (as pictured). But for wider cuts, I imagine that works great.