Thread: What does "2 mil" look like when spraying a topcoat?

What does "2 mil" look like when spraying a topcoat?

I am using Targetcoatings 8000cv. They recommend coats of 2-3 mil on a horizontal surface.

I don't have a thickness gauge. I think I have been applying too thin of a coat, as it starts to dry almost immediately and is a little bumpy after it dries. I have tried laying it on thicker and it is smoother, but I don't want to use too heavy a coat.

What should it look like? Sorry if this is a question that can only be answered with a gauge, but I don't have one.

Thanks,

Roger

I'd suggest that you stop by a "real" paint store and pick up a mil gauge. Many stores give them away but if not they aren't but a couple bucks.I'm trying to think of a way to describe the look of 2 mils vs 1 vs 5, not having much luck.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Sheet of paper is about 3 mils
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Two issues here

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Jensen View Post
    I am using Targetcoatings 8000cv. They recommend coats of 2-3 mil on a horizontal surface.

I don't have a thickness gauge. I think I have been applying too thin of a coat, as it starts to dry almost immediately and is a little bumpy after it dries. I have tried laying it on thicker and it is smoother, but I don't want to use too heavy a coat.

What should it look like? Sorry if this is a question that can only be answered with a gauge, but I don't have one.

Thanks,

Roger
    Scott's paper thickness equivilent is very good - .0025" to .004" is the range I've seen. ZIGZAG rolling papers are just about .001" - a good shop tool for many setups.

The texture and drying issues that you have mentioned have not much to do with film thickness but more to do with your gun settings. Too little fluid and too much air. If you are using an HVLP then the warm air is exacerbating things also. Reduce the air flow and keep an eye on the film, as you reduce the air you'll see your film start to look "wetter".

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    ZIGZAG rolling papers are.........a good shop tool for many setups.
    Doggone it......now I gotta clean the beer off my monitor.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Thanks for the tips.

I have switched to the 1.4 mm tip on my Fuji gravity gun for the topcoat material (I had been using the 1.0 mm tip for the shellac washcoat and WB-stain from Targetcoatings).

It seems to be going on more evenly with the larger tip. Previously, I would start to get air bubbles when I was putting down what I assume was the right thickness. With the larger tip it doesn't seem to be happening.

I'll keep making more test pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Doggone it......now I gotta clean the beer off my monitor.
    I have some habits that lie on the periphery of public acceptance but in all honesty I use the ZIGZAGS for machine setup not attitude adjustments! Sorry that you wasted your beer, I owe you one Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    .............. in all honesty I use the ZIGZAGS for machine setup not attitude adjustments!
    Chris - if the Mounties have bought that story so far, don't back down. Stick with whatever works for you.

Harder sell down here in ATL, though.......................
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Chris - if the Mounties have bought that story so far, don't back down. Stick with whatever works for you.

Harder sell down here in ATL, though.......................
    I find that I am taken at face value if I pack dirt under my fingernails and sport various lacerations that give me the working man look. I would agree that folks from ATL are much more discerning than our boys in red serge. I shoot straight with my cousins from the south!