Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley chisels

Stanley chisels

Ok. Im officially baffled!Why on Gods green earth are plastic handled stanley chisels bringing twice what Witherby's and Berg's are!? There are black handled #40s (not the everlasting design) and yellow handled junkers being fought over tooth and nail on the auction site. I know from personal experience that the steel is JUNK ! I cant even use them to open paint cans!Is it collectors? D any of you guys have experience with these?ALSODoes anyone use the older everlasting chisels? Do they seem a little soft?

Interesting...your experience is very different from mine. I grab every one of the old yellow-and-black Stanley chisels I find at garage sales. I find the steel will take and hold a decent edge for quite a while; and I'm stressing the heck out of them doing carpentry.

My one No. 40 is pretty good, too.

James, I use yellow handled stanleys with good success. I have an 1 1/2" and 2" that hold a decent edge and were dead flat across the back. I like having one or two around in case I need to modify a chisel for a certain function. The one stanley chisel I have that has been disappointing is a 750, the edge seems crumbly. Even so, I would never pay real money for them, much less pay more than bergs or witherby's.

I went and looked at my yellow stanleys again, they are called Stanley Workmaster, maybe the steel is different... Its really bad... I used it on some OLD pine and the edge rounded right over, its got a visible J hook on it

send me all the black handed 40s ya got I wish I had a set of them instead of only 2
    they are part timex
    take a lickin and keep tickin
    Carpe Lignum

Some vintages of Stanley plastic handled chisels were very good. Check out http://jp29.org/wwstanplastichandles.htm

James

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    send me all the black handed 40s ya got I wish I had a set of them instead of only 2they are part timex take a lickin and keep tickin
    No way! Theyre going up for auction this sunday!

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground

Stanley Chisels

James,I have few full sets of Stanley No 60 yellow handled chisels from the 40's that belonged to my grandfather who did a lot of carpentry. While they are not as durable as a set of LN A2 chisels, they take a good edge and hold up well. I use mine for general carpentry tasks and rougher work where I prefer not to use a finer chisel. They are good all around chisels and will outlast me. Thugh I have noticed that the much newer versions do not seem to have the same level of quality in finish or hardness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Quote Originally Posted by James Taglienti View Post
    I went and looked at my yellow stanleys again, they are called Stanley Workmaster, maybe the steel is different... Its really bad... I used it on some OLD pine and the edge rounded right over, its got a visible J hook on it
    With a few exceptions*, any time a manufacturer feels the need to use a marketing term like "workmaster," you should figure they're selling you trash.

*"Wards Master" planes, for instance, are usually pretty good in my experience.

I have a set of 60's that I pieced together and am happy with them. They do get the call any time I m really going to wollop on something and always come through fine and get the job done...

I too have had good success with the yellow and black chisels. When buying old stuff its quite possible someone took out the temper with over grinding. I have some foreign chisels I like about as much as you do the Stanleys. Harry

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Goodwin View Post
    I too have had good success with the yellow and black chisels. When buying old stuff its quite possible someone took out the temper with over grinding.
    Bingo.

Any chisel can be softened by someone with too heavy a hand on the grinder, and after it's changed hands the new user poormouths the brand rather than check the temper.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

There is no evidence of heavy grinding or any power grinding at all on a couple of them they just will not hold an edge. I know what poor grinding looks like ( ha ha ) discoloration, funky burrs, etc... Maybe the workmaster was a bargain chisel? Regardless, I have used all sorts of chisels and these workmasters are second worst to the bright orange handled buck brothers from home depot. The black handled ones are a bit better but really should stay in the carpentry bag, maybe i will sharpen them to 30 plus degrees and try again.Trust me, there is no "contempt prior to investigation" here.
    I do seem to be all alone here, I wonder what is going on with my chisels

I have several of the wood handled Everlasting Stanleys. All but one holds an edge well. Steel can vary, both when manufactured, and how it has been handled since. My guess is you either have a poor quality set, or a set which is worse than its peers.

I don't know - I don't have nearly the experience of some of the folks here; but I've had random luck with Stanley iron; I've got two visually identical Sweetheart block plane irons - one of them chips out (looks like you hit a nail after a few strokes) planing soft pine face grain, despite careful re-grinding, and the other is an indestructible work-horse that seems like it never needs to be sharpened.