Thread: Using wire mesh in furniture

Using wire mesh in furniture

Are there ways that the home craftsman can use wire mesh as a component of furniture without getting into heavy duty metal work?

It would be nice component for outdoor furniture and its conceivable that one could buy rolls of mesh. But I don't know how one could mount it or put a frame around it conveniently.

I've seen projects where concrete is forced threw shaped mesh.

How about laying it flat then put a piece of temper glass on top???Maybe a piece of mirror on bottom of the wire mesh,if your talking about the mesh that is used for rabbit cages,1/2 squares----Carroll

There is so much you can do with wire mesh. Check out some sculptures here:

http://www.perforated-wire-mesh.com/...sculptures.asp

Stephen,

This probably isn't what you're thinking of, but decorative wire grill (usually brass) was a common feature in Edwardian cabinet doors, often with fabric behind.

If you are thinking of putting it in cabinet doors, a simple rabbet and staples would suffice. A strip over the staples to dress it up.
    Potato bins are one example.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

7. There are tons of examples of metal being used in wood furniture as a design element. As others have mentioned, cabinet door panels with wire mesh and fabric, or wire mesh and glass. Also, there's all of those pie safes with their punched tin.

Putting a frame around it........ seems to me it would depend on the structural integrity of the mesh. If it's strong enough, you could use it as the panel in a frame-&-panel piece. If not, maybe adding glass or something else would work?

And I'm not wild about the idea of buying it in rolls -- it would be nearly impossible to flatten/straighten it. I be inclined to buy it in sheets.

And FWIW, I've seen a few examples of wire mesh advertised. The examples I saw were in the Rockler catalog, but I'd bet there are others.