Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut with a bit of spalted sap wood

Walnut with a bit of spalted sap wood

Hf is 7"x6" (10.5" with walnut finial). Finished with gloss WOP. This piece drove me nuts trying to get a photo to show the grain without major hotspots. Finally took the best of the photo's and surrendered. Has a bit of texturing added to the walnut collar. I found it a bit odd that the difference in color between body and the collar was so great. The collar wood was taken and saved while roughing the body. Must be the grain orientation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Bill,

As far as I am concerned.........this one is shear perfection! I think you have a very nice form.........some may take that the widest part is basically in the middle of the form, but this one works as the finial and top are simply exquisite, and balance the form out.........a finish to die for! Simply GORGEOUS!!!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 08-14-2011 at 4:10 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

WOW! That is beautiful! Love the form and the detail of the finial, and that gloss just sets it all off!

Great form Bill. Your best so far in my opinion. I also like the added texture, just a little to high light yet not enough to overpower the form.

very nice, great collar

This is a very nice turning, the wood is awesome, as we say here "You Done Good" I really like the top.

Exceptionally well done, Bill!! I like the proportions between the form and collar/finial, and the texturing on the collar is a very nice touch. Nice flow up the shoulder, through the collar and up the finial - very hard to accomplish.

I know you struggled with the pics, but I am betting the walnut form with spalting all around in the sapwood looks way neater in person!

This is beautiful Bill, I love the detailing on the lid, very nice.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Bill,
    This one is by far the best piece I've seen you post. Sorry if I missed some other one you think is better. The wood is very pretty and the form perfect. I'm not a judge of good proportion but the size and shape of the finial look just right.
    faust

Gallery Material!
    Pieces like this motivate me to start turning again..
    Wonderful Finish Bill... You are on the roll...
    This piece plus the bowl.... incredible!
    Paulo Marin

That's a beauty! Great looking piece and wood. You have been a busy turner Bill!

Fantastic form and a lovely finish!

Beautiful Bill. Nice form and exceptional finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Bill you done it.
    That is one of the really great pieces I've seen here or anywhere.The wood is beautiful. But your work is excellent, the shape the lid with finial and detail work is all outstanding.

Wow! Thats a beauty Bill! I love the form and the texturing on the collar is great, as is the finial, and to boot you turned it from an amazing piece of walnut!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.