Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Go to tools?

Go to tools?

Having seen most of your works and having a good appreciation of styles and turnings, I am curious: What are your personal go to tools and why?

I am glad you said tools and not tool. I have a pretty good assortment but these four get used a lot.
    * 1/2" D way bowl gouge
    * 8 mm P&N detail gouge
    * 1/2" Craftsman skew (very old)
    * Pinnacle diamond style parting tool

I have been accused of using a 5/8" bowl gouge for about 90% of my work, but of course I was unaware that I was using it that much! So I keep those other 50 tools just in case I need them some day for some special purpose!

1/2" Thompson V bowl gouge. I also do a lot of HF's and have found I have a much easier time with the form I'm after using the bowl gouge rather than a spindle type gouge.

5. 5/8" Pinnacle Kryo bowl gouge - V flute
    3/8" sorby bowl gouge -v flute
    3/8" Thompson detail gouge
    1/4 " Thompson detail gouge
    Sorby thin parting tool 1/16"
    1.25" roughing gouge
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

5/8th Thompson U Shaped bowl gouge for most everything, the skew is starting to replace it in some areas.

1/2" Thompson Bowl Gouge - Use for all bowls and similar turnings
    Homemade Pyramid Tool - Use for tenons and facing
    3/8" Sorby Spindle Gouge - Use for non-pen spindle work
    1" Thompson Skew - use for pens and long tapers

3/8 Thompson detail and 3/8 Thompson Clewes signature gouge.

I use my 3/8" Sorby (same as 1/2" in USA tools) more than anything. I want to start using my 1/2" Thompson more often but I am having a time getting the grind exactly were I want it. I think its because of the V shape. The Thompson definitely stays sharper, longer, so I am wanting to figure it out.

I use probably 10 of my other tools pretty faithfully, as well.
    Last edited by Scott Hackler; 08-15-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I guess it would be the one that is in my hand at any given time while turning! I love them all and they all play a part in some way in many different turnings. For roughing I like my 5/8 Thompson "U" gouge, for shear scraping and internal bowl work I like my Ellsworth gouge, for deeper bowls or vases I like the 3/8 standard grind gouge from Packard or my 1/2 Thompson "V" gouge. If I am taking a very fine cut on soft or punky wood on the outside I will use a 1/4" standard bowl gouge from Crown tools. This could go on for ever with me so I will just say I like them all!

Jeff......I am a toolaholic and I have not been clean for 7 years!
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown

For bowls, I rough with an 1 1/4 by 3/8 inch scraper, and do finish cuts with a 5/8 Thompson U gouge. On the inside, I do use Doug's fluteless gouge more and more for going through the transition and bottom. I do use it on the outside as well, still in experimental stages. Scrapers at a shear angle for touch up, and a dove tailed scraper for the recess. I never seem to be able to settle on any one tool for the jobs. Some days some seem to work better than others. Just because I guess.

robo hippy

1/2 inch thompson bowl gouge
    homemade cobalt rouching tool
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Mostly my Thompsons ,but depends on the piece001.jpg

Elsworth bowl gouge for when I need a bowl gouge, but I also use a 9/16" Rex and Kip shallow forged spindle gouge for the outside of end grain vases and
    such. It is also my go to tool for shaping and roughing out spindle work. I use a John Jordan 3/4" #1 hook hollowing tool for most of my HF's. While I use these three tools for most of my turning I wouldn't want to be without many of my other tools over the long haul.
    Jack

For me it would be my "3/8 Sorby bowl gouge, PSI "1/4 detail gouge, Sorby "1/16 thin cut parting tool, and my PSI "1 1/4 skew that I reground to a Alan Lacer Style skew, for hand hollowing it is my EWT Ci3-h5 carbide hollower.
    Critiques on works posted are always welcome