Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: got to teacher her my hobby :) (finished peice posted)

got to teacher her my hobby :) (finished peice posted)

i was sittin around at my girlfriends house today when i heard the words every turner wants to hear. "" lets go to your house, i wanna learn how to use the lathe""" so we went back to my house and i got the lathe all set up, i got a nice peice of wood for her (a peice of solidcore door from our high school that i got a few years ago, pine with a oak veneer) showed her how to chuck it up and everything and how to use some tools. she loved it and cant wait to make more, and to learn more of the tools. now i can work on one lathe while she works on the other
    some how she got to be the first one to make something on my new lathe, but i dont mind
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by curtis rosche; 08-15-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: final peice posted
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Way to go! Now where's a picture of the finished product?
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

That's great,sense you have two lathe's, no down time for ether of you. Just remember it's been said that girls most always turn better finials.

Glad to see she is enjoying the same thing you do.

Nice.

Curtis, did you make that lathe?
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

Mulino, Oregon, US (thirty miles South of Portland)
    Blog Entries
    That was very nice of you and she looks like she benefitted from the teaching. The vortex keeps getting bigger. Will we swallow the universe soon?

Curtis, that's very cool and her platter looks very well done...can't wait to see final pic finished. Every night after my day job, I get ready to go out to my studio and always ask LOML if she'd like to come out and play on second lathe.
    Glad to hear she enjoyed it and that she's showing good safety with having her hair up and wearing a faceshield.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Well Curtis, I guess that's OK that you taught her how to turn, but what are you going to do if you marry her someday and you need a reason to get out of the house?

Nothing like young love! Keep turning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis NC View Post
    Nice.

Curtis, did you make that lathe?
    i didnt make it, but it is a "homemade" lathe. it was made in a local metal shop and i bought it at a mud sale. then came up with my own powertrain for it. look for my other threads on getting this lathe from a few months ago, to a thread last week on getting it hooked up

i forgot a final picture. i will get one tonight
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Curtis that is great that she wants to learn. Bowl looks great.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Very cool. I finally got my girlfriend on the lathe last week as well. She turned a little box out of Box Elder. Its a little wobbly, but we were both proud what she did with almost no help from me other than safety tips (trying to convince her to cut her hair off...worries me) and how to position a few of the tools on the wood.

Nothing like bringing someone else into the vortex.

It's great that she wants to learn to turn. However......you just might've created a monster!.

Good luck to both of you.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Congrats Curtis! One more fun thing to share.

Don't know why, Chris, but all this time, I thought you two were married! Must have been the white tux... By the way, she (and by she, I mean your GF, not the lathe) is a keeper if she's willing to hop on the lathe. Not that hopping on the lathe is the catch, it is that she is interested and willing to experience what is important to you. Give her a hug. Thank her. And tell her to get her own flippin' lathe!
    I drink, therefore I am.