Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Irion Lumber?

Irion Lumber?

I'm considering ordering cherry for a table project from Irion Lumber in PA. I've read some older positive comments about them here. Any reason not to go with them?

They are often referenced as a premium supplier--I once saw Mira Nakashima speak (current operation among other topics) and I believe Irion was one of the firms with whom the Nakashima studio works. They are a bit farther of a drive than Hearne or Groff/Groff, so I not been there personally...have you checked out the Groff and Groff offers?

About Irion Lumber

Matt;
    First class outfit. Great value, wonderful material. No need to worry, order and enjoy.

Quality wood, although you pay for what you get. Special project + special wood = Your off to an awesome piece. I would.

plus one for groff and groff
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I don't know if it fits into your plans, but we are getting into the perfect time of year to head east- several good wood suppliers are within a stones throw of the Winterthur museum.

I'm actually planning to have this delivered. I was warned not to buy cherry sight-unseen from a semi-local supplier and can't afford to take a vacation day to go choose it myself. From what I've read, that's not necessary with Irion, and probably some others.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'm actually planning to have this delivered. I was warned not to buy cherry sight-unseen from a semi-local supplier and can't afford to take a vacation day to go choose it myself. From what I've read, that's not necessary with Irion, and probably some others.
    Yeah, it's not (traveling to look at it at Irion before you buy), but they would be glad to host you. Irion has lumber that I've not found -anywhere- else, typically gigantic, flawless boards. But what may interest you more in terms of cherry is that most of their stock is matched - either flitch sawn from one log, or "sawn for grade" out of one log. For cherry, that matters - the color variation between two trees growing on the same tract of land can be substantial.

Irion and Groft&Groft are also very reliable. You could buy sight unseen from either one with no problems. Wide wood,figured wood,just about anything you want is readily available from both dealers. I'm about an 1&1/2 hours away from Lancaster,so its just easier have the wood sent via UPS.Typically a one day wait for me.

Amazing wood comes from those folks...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Matt,
    Have you thought about trying http://www.hickoryandoak.com/ in Decatur, MI. They are about 150 miles from you. I don't know if they are open Sat, but you might be able to pick your own lumber there at a reasonable price.

You might also try Johnson Lumber in Charlotte...

Take care,
    Dick

Actually all the cherry I used on their kitchen came from Hickory and Oak. Steve brings over a load of lumber every spring for our club as well and I've bought some from him there as well. I've also visited his operation when we were on vacation in the SW part of the state. Unfortunately in June he didn't have any 5/4.

Johnson's is who I was referring to in my "sight unseen" comment above. Sapwood isn't considered a defect in cherry grading and apparently based on others experience you just don't know what they will send you if you order cherry for delivery. I've bought red oak from them for delivery and got first-rate stuff, but sapwood isn't an issue there. If you want to pick it out, you have to go M-F.

Don't know personally but Keim Lumber in Amish country Ohio comes highly recommended as well.

You will not go wrong with Irion.
    Fine folks selling the highest quality material.

Keim has some george us stuff inside. I've never checked out what they have outside. They are only open until 12:00 on Saturdays if yo go.