Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you modify the recipe as you cook?

I also cook by the Julia Child method . . . a little wine for the sauce, a little wine for me.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Paulus View Post
    when I get to cooking and enjoying a few adult beverages. 99/100 times it will be an awesome meal.
    Now that you mention it, my spaghetti sauce always tastes better if I pop a bottle of wine when I start cooking.

I make up stuff as I go. I like to watch the chefs on TV and get ideas but never look at recipes. The one thing I did write down some guidelines was my BBQ sauce, the raisins make it special and the molasses makes it dark.
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

WOW, I'm in the serious minortity here...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I am a recipe hoarder. That being said, I seldom use a recipe. I figure someone somewhere sometime ago was asked how something was made so they wrote down what they remembered. And judging by some the recipes I have read, memory is a tricky thing. I have learned what works well together, like my favorite hand-painted wine glass filled to my specs and consumed with wild abandon, and cooking. I only had my hubby turn up his nose once and since then he has developed an impeccable set of taste buds! I have also been appointed to head our church's cookbook committee...this should be very educational...for the cooks as well as myself. I believe all recipes are just a suggestion and are open for modification.
    Leigh Costello
    Epilog Mini 24, 45W, Corel X4
    Smile, make them wonder what ya did.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    Now that you mention it, my spaghetti sauce always tastes better if I pop a bottle of wine when I start cooking.
    My wife makes an awsome spaghetti sauce. However if she doesn't open a bottle or box when she starts it will not be nearly as good. Now if I can just get her to use fresh herbs each time instead of the dried stuff in the spice cabinet.....