Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian Olive lidded bowl

Russian Olive lidded bowl

This bowl is what I made for the 'Beauty' part of the Beauty and the Beast contest over at WTA. It's all from a piece of Russian Olive burl. The lid was cored from the bowl using a primitive homemade coring tool (I recommend using a 'real' tool after this workout) and the finial was carved from a piece of the burl cut off to round it for the lathe. It's about 11" wide at the widest point and 9" tall to the top of the finial. Russian Olive is a junk tree that grows like a weed around here. It has some nice color and a very distinct aroma when turning it. Burls aren't very common though so when I found this at the local green waste dump it was one of those "Eureka" type finds. This wood was very dead and dry when I got it so it was turned start to finish without any drying time in between. There are so many great finial makers out there that whenever I try to turn a finial I always feel like I'm copying someone's style. So for this contest piece I decided to try carving a finial that would be unique and different. It was an experience to say the least and although it is unique I'm not sure I'll try that again. The finish is 4 coats of AO and then buffed with the Beall system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, I wish I knew where there was a wood dump around me....this is a heck of a find!

I really like how unique this particular form is...but also how well the curves flow together. Great form, great wood. It'll make a great entry for you.

Curt, that's a beauty...you really did that piece of burl well and I like the finial. Kinda nautical fishhook theme to it.
    Well done and like Marty said..must be nice to have access to a dump with stuff like that. Our dump not very good about letting you scrounge around, liability issues I guess. They mulch all of it up, and I know some good to great wood gets chopped up.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Curt,
    I'll second and third what Tim and Marty have already said.That is one fine piece of scrounge wood.I wish we had some of that growing around here. Like the guys said ,we can't get near the local wood dumps.Everybody is afraid somebody is going to sue if they get hurt on city or town property.
    I agree with you Tim ,I'm sure alot of great wood gets chipped and lost forever.
    As far as the bowl Curt,everything about it is fine!,Really like the unique finial .Did you sharpen the hook yourself? Really,color ,finish ,proportions are really nice.Take care,
    Greg

Curt, the wood is absolutely awesome - that part is obvious. But, what you have done here is combine a perfectly done ogee form, with a "just right" lid, and a wonderfully unique finial to create a beautiful piece of art! Extremely well done!

I know you turn a lot of Russian Olive, and without fail, the color and character is always first rate - but, this piece is truly a Eureka find!

6. Curt,

What a fine turning! Truly fine........carries over into art for sure.........very unique finial concept............beautifully done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Very, very cool Curt.....which is troubling since I am in the contest against you!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Curt, very nice, enjoy your contest you do not need any luck

Curt that is one beautiful and unique piece. Love it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great looking. I see this as a Peterpan and Captain Hook theme. Great Job.

WOW! I don't know what else to say, it is a great piece.

Awesome wood, awesome form, awesome lid, awesome finial. Curt, I think I like it a lot!

Man, that's about as sweet as it gets! Great job on both your pieces, Curt!

14. That's an absolute beauty, I love everything about it. great form, great wood, and a great idea showing your non-conformist original creativity.

Beautiful piece sir! That big 'ole skyhook sure sets it apart.