Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Points of call between L.A and Phoenix / Tucson

Points of call between L.A and Phoenix / Tucson

Youngest daughter (of three) to set up 'camp' at the University of Arizona. We're driving her out Wednesday and I'll have some free time in Phoenix and Tucson. The only resource I know of is Woodworker's Source and I do plan to pay a visit there (Tucson store definitely and then Phoenix perhaps, depending upon Tucson impression).

My 'mission' is to find any interesting wood(working) resources on the trip. I am going to be especially intent on finding Senora Desert Ironwood, if at all possible, either raw or finished product. I've only ever seen one finished piece of it and it was really an unbelievable wood.

Any suggestions as to wood or woodworking resources in general and the Senora Desert Ironwood in particular would be greatly appreciated to begin our new status of 'empty nesters.'
    Sierra Madre Sawing and Milling
    Sierra Madre, California

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    are you heading east from LA on highway 10, or south toward San Diego to pickup highway 8? If you are taking 8, there is a nice lumber yard in Carlsbad, just off highway 5, that has lots of tropical hardwords. Exotic Tropical Hardwoods of Latin America, or something close to that is the name.

I live right near Woodworker's Source's Tempe store. They have a really nice selection of some of the more exotic woods and tend to be on the pricey side. Quality of wood is uniformly good though.

A place to call before visiting to ask what is available is http://www.azhardwood.com/ in west Phoenix. They have a large facility with some very nice stuff down to picked over near firewood grade. Generally good prices. A while ago they had a large amount of very good looking mesquite at a reasonable price in the 'back' warehouse. Dunno if it is still there and I didn't look around to see what else was back there. Out front is more ordinary hardwoods.

Thanks guys, a couple of good tips. I'm familiar with Tropical Exotics in Carlsbad but unfortunately, my route will be east across the 10, so I'll be a ways away from there. Arizona Hardwoods in Phoenix looks to be exactly the type of place I am looking for. I'll give them a call and then visit, probably on our way out of town. Still hoping for some leads on Sonora Desert Ironwood, so if anyone has any ideas, they'd be very much appreciated.

Off topic but also appreciated: Best Mexican food in Tucson???
    Sierra Madre, California

Sam Maloof had his workshop near the Riverside area, just off I-10. Though he passed away, I belief they still welcome visitors and show many of his works. In case you aren't familiar with the man, he crafted rocking chairs for 6 U.S. Presidents.

My woodworking club took a tour there about 4 years ago.

The Maloof 'Compound'

Yeah, what a great place. They're still there and do tours on certain days of the week. Any woodworker who makes it into SoCal certainly should try to make it out there. That and the Gamble House (Greene & Greene) in Pasadena.

I met Sam Maloof on a class tour similar to yours a few years back. He did pass away about a year ago. Since then, my path has winded more into the woodworking industry and now I have dealings with 'the Boys' there as well. Three of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. You reminded me to dig up my 'old' photo that I took with Sam, about four years ago, and a photo I recently took with 'the Boys' on a recent visit, and I thought that I'd share them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sierra Madre, California

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I met Sam a few years ago when he came down to Palomar College and I was taking a chair making class from Russ Filbeck.

You might try Timber Woodworking in Mesa. They are only open on weekdays. I don't know if they have ironwood.

I think you are looking for Olneya tesota, which is native to the southwest. I have one growing in my yard and it is the meanest, nastiest thorny tree I have ever seen. I haven't done any woodworking with it but I do occaisionally prune it. True to it's name the wood is hard and dense.

I'll second Timber Woodworking in Mesa or his sons store in Phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Godlesky View Post
    ...I have one growing in my yard and it is the meanest, nastiest thorny tree I have ever seen. I haven't done any woodworking with it but I do occaisionally prune it. True to it's name the wood is hard and dense.
    Thanks for the lead on the Ironwood. Where do you live? I'll see you in a day or two?

But seriously, does your tree look like this? I'm pretty sure it is Olneya tesota.

Looks like Mesa may be on the itinerary as well. Thanks for the lead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sierra Madre, California

Be sure to check out Hood Dist. on Toole in Tucson. They often have a selection of local hardwoods.....what few there are.
    And I'll agree with everyone else about Timbers in Mesa. You may be a little disappointed in WW's Source in Tucson. The last time I was there, their supply of local hardwoods was pretty skimpy. The Phoenix stores are much larger and stocked better.
    Gene
    Life is too short for cheap tools
    GH

Damon
    I've wanted to drop by here for years:
    http://www.mesquitedesign.com/index.htm

Damon;
    Call Jeff Larson at Arizona Hardwoods and tell him Marco sent you. 602-233-9663 office 480-452-5791 mobile He has a decent selection of mesquite and sometimes other fun stuff.

Damon, I have some Desert Ironwoodwood. If you want to stop by, I'm just north of I-10 in Goodyear (just west of Phoenix) my cell is 623-521-0382

About an hour south of Tucson near Tumacacori there is a big lumber yard that only does Mequite. They have some really nice and some really wide and thick Mesquite, but their prices are really high. It's a fun side trip. Timber Woodworking Machinery in Mesa is fun, they have a large selection of consignment tools, starting with 3HP cabinet shop class up to large wide belt sanders, sliding saws, etc.

http://www.mesquitedesign.com/aboutus.htm