Thread: Sears Belt sander Question

Sears Belt sander Question

Well, I do not think I need to qualify this as a Gloat because I do not have the darn thing working yet. Since I never owned a belt sander and since I was at this auction and no body else seem to want to spend $10. on this decent looking sander, I raised the card and sure enough it followed me home. Now, I consider myself fairly mechanical and yet I have to admit. this thing has me stumped. I am somewhat embarresed to tell you I can not figure out how to get the sanding belt off and then how to get it back on again. Is there a "locking device on the forward spring tension wheel? The model is 315.11720 I will really appreciate any directions. I'm sure it's a simple procedure but I can't figure it out. thanks,

Jim, try pushing the front roller toward thr rear, then swing the roller, while under pressure, to the left and that should do it. Sometimes they will lock up and need very heavy pressure to move. Replace the belt then straighten the roller back to the right and it should snap in place. The knob on the side will correct the tracking of the belt. Keith
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

Keith,
    thanks, I'm off to give that a try. If I break it there goes $10!!

Hi Jim,

There is a lever on the side of the sander between the rollers. Lift this up and it releases the front hub so that you can remove the belt. The knob on top of the belt sander adjusts the tracking of the belt right and left.

Jennifer
    "Knowledge is the antidote to fear".

Jim,
    Mine is a 315.277251 Being a 315 series means they were both manufactured by Ryobi and are likely similar.

Mine has a yellow belt tension release lever located on the right side between the rollers.

If they are close to the same, and yours runs good, I think you're going to like it. One of the few Craftsman power tools I own that seems to be of decent quality.

J.C.
    It's a vintage trailer thing. If ya gotta ask, ya won't understand.