Thread: Loading/Unloading Tools.

Loading/Unloading Tools.

For those who work out of their trucks, I have a question. What or how do you store your tools? The reason I’m asking is that, my truck, a one ton dually, crew cab, is not only my work truck but also our RV (truck camper) and our run around vehicle. The few jobs I have, I throw the tools I need into a couple of tool bags and what doesn’t fit gets stacked on the back seat. Many of my tools have their own cases but others don’t. Tool bags aren’t always the easiest to find tools in. More than once I’ve dumped the bag to find the one tool I need. I’ve built a wooden tool box out of poplar for some of my hand tools but found when loaded, its damn heavy.

Large tools go in the truck bed. That can be dicey depending what are the weather conditions. Loading and unloading can be a pain. My last job I was so tired when I got home I unloaded the truck and trashed the work shop. Tomorrow, I have to clean that up.

Have you built an easily loaded/unloaded method for handling your tools? Is there something that can be purchased that solves this problem?
    Possumpoint

Richard,

I have a truck cap that locks so I can put off unloading tools for a short period of time however sooner or later unloading is necessary. I have tried large boxes and other means of storing tools in my truck bed but as you mentioned they do get heavy and can be difficult to find a tool at the bottom.

I'm afraid there are two solutions for me, purchase a small covered trailer that can be stocked for offsite work and unhooked at home or replace my truck with a van when the time comes, I believe that a van would be more versitile in the long run for offsite installs and solve the loading/unloading issue.

Keith hit the nail on the head. If you want easy secured storage the best option is dedicated storage. Either a covered trailer or a van. In my past jobs as a carpenter, I owned a few different trailers because I got sick of loading and unloading the "right" tools for the job.

Richard, if the job is big enough, the client (with a garage or basement) usually gets "treated" to the whole shebang, and that's a pretty good amount of stuff. I use a mishmash of tool cases, rubbermaid totes, empty drywall buckets w/ liners, and milk crates. It's pretty bad. I have been craving a 5x8 covered trailer, and am going to take that plunge, soon. All the precision stuff (router, biscuiter, hand tools, sled, anything by Festool, etc.) I keep in the cab. Other than that, I do spend a lot of time emptying/loading to keep stuff dry. But as I'm sure you know, even on a dry morning condensation can kill you. The best thing that works for me is DENIAL.