Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treating a table saw top for periods of non-use?

Treating a table saw top for periods of non-use?

My table saw gets used, at best, about once a month and I live in SC where humidity and high Summer temps are a problem. No A/C in the shop, so its really unbearable to work out there in the Summer. I usually keep a good coat of wax on the saw, but with this heatwave we've had this Summer, its not doing the job of protecting it. Any suggestions as to what I could put on it until about late October? Thanks.

Boeshield T-9. Spray it on, make sure it's fully covered the entire CI surface. Turn the lights off and close the door. Use degreaser in October to get it off. Costs about $20 for a twin pack including rust remover from Sears.

A light coat of gun oil would work just fine as well and is easy to wipe off when you are ready to use it. I have several tools in storage until I get my new shop in order and that is what I did. Looked at them this past weekend and all is well.

Larry

Use Johnson's Paste Wax. Put it on thick and do not polishit off. It will stay there until you use the tool and you really do not have to polish it off.

I've been putting a HTC cover on my saw, then a sheet of particle board on top of that.
    Michigan has been miserable this summer, but the saw is doing fine.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I seem to be getting better success with Top Cote instead of Boeshield down here in South Florida.

+1 on Johnson's Past Wax. Works great here in Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by ken gibbs View Post
    Use Johnson's Paste Wax. Put it on thick and do not polishit off. It will stay there until you use the tool and you really do not have to polish it off.

i've noticed that new woodworking machines are often shipped with some kind of grease on the table top underneath a sheet of a wax paper-like material. The grease is a PITA to remove, but maybe you could do a generous coat of johnson's paste was as Ken suggested, with some wax paper over that to keep it from getting rubbed off.

I think that's a great recommendation because paste wax is often what guys use to lubricate their cast iron tops anyway. So when you're ready, you just buff the wax down and you have a perfectly slick, ready-to-use table top. And also like Ken said, if you're especially lazy you don't even have to buff the excess wax off. Although I'd recommend it since you'll be able to feed the wood through your saw much easier if it's buffed out.

I've used Top Cote and Boeshield and they really didn't work as well as I expected for the money. It seems like i've had to re-apply much more often than I do with paste wax, as I still got some rust with those products. The benefit of paste wax is that it has at least two uses in the shop: to protect your cast iron surfaces and to shine up your finished projects. Plus it's pretty cheap and lasts a really long time.
    Last edited by Peter Aeschliman; 08-16-2011 at 2:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'm right here in SC and my saw gets Johnsons paste wax.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Lowes sells a roll of material that prevents rust in tool boxes. It's called vapor emmiting. Lay a piece of it on TS top, and cover with a tarp.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    I buy a product called LPS1 in gallon or 5 gallon cans ... put some in any kind of sprayer & mist it on when I leave the shop. Wipe it down when I want to use to saw again, and it looks like new, and is slicker than owl $hit.

For the 2 to 4 cold Winter months I apply wax and cover the table with an old blanket.
    Seems to work just fine.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

I'm another fan of Johnson's past wax for cast iron surfaces.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ashmeade View Post
    Boeshield T-9. Spray it on, make sure it's fully covered the entire CI surface. Turn the lights off and close the door. Use degreaser in October to get it off. Costs about $20 for a twin pack including rust remover from Sears.
    I agree. Spray on a heavy wet layer of T-9 and walk away. We used to treat cast iron machine bases this way for shipment and had few problems with rust in transit. You can also just spray on more T-9 when you want to clean off the goo and it will soften the existing layer and leave your saw protected. We found that the T-9 was superior if left on heavy to paste wax in terms of rust prevention. Once you remove the goo, I would then apply a coating of paste wax.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-17-2011 at 2:23 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm also in SC and I'll add my name to the list of Johnson's Paste Wax users. I put it on the TS, BS, Jointer beds, and my hand planes. Works great.