Thread: Spray Booth Newbie

Spray Booth Newbie

Hello everyone. I have looked at several of the setups throughout the forum, read about the fans etc.

I am just in the planning stages of a spray booth and mapping it out.

I have a dedicated 12 x 24 area that we use for finishing, laser engraving and packaging right now. We do a lot of dipping, but have been advised that spraying would give us a better look to our product.

I was thinking a 6 x 12 area would be sufficient to do this project.

I am wondering if building a wall with a door to seperate the two areas would be the way to go or would a plastic sheet suffice?

One dilemma that I do have either way is there would be no way for air to be replenished into that space. Would putting in a window be the way to go? Or would some other vent mechanism be ok?

Now there is installing the fan. Not being overly handy limits me as I would have no idea how to cut out the wall and siding to insert the fan.

We will most likely be spraying Chemcraft waterborne finishes. A supplier suggested using Graco equipment (thoughts on this??). We will be spraying approximately 5 different colors at any specific time so will need that many guns.

Any suggestions are welcome!
    Centauro T5 Hydraulic Copy Lathe
    Epilog Mini 24 - 35 Watt
    Corel X4

I would suggest at least 3 to 4 feet from the edge of your product to any wall. I create a spray booth on demand with usually 5 to 6 feet to a wall.

An exhaust fan would work. I know people who spray oil based finishes with an exhaust fan of a 24 inch box fan with a furnace filter taped to the front of it. I saw somewhere on the Internet a design where 2 fans were used on the air inlet for the spray booth. They created a positive (above normal) pressure and the exhaust was pushed out an opening in a wall (window).

I don't know about the Graco equipment. I have an Earlex 5000 hvlp system and I am happy with it. You could get different guns for each color and move the hose. Consider how fast the finish would dry in the gun. I would consider getting 6 cups with a single gun. Load 5 cups with you different colors and the 6th with solvent. Spray one color, spray solvent into a pail for 10 to 15 seconds, then switch to the next color. Get snap on covers that snugly fit over the top of the cups.

Any vent would work. A window, or a roof vent if the room is not heated or you don't mind loosing heat while spraying. You can close the window when not spraying, or design a trap door to cover the vent.

My quick assembly large spray booth is made of plastic tarps. They hang from hooks in the ceiling and then one on the floor. I can assemble it in 15 minutes. I use a standard 24 inch box fan with furnace filter in front and a window in the back of the shop for air inlet. If I had the room and money I would build the positive pressure booth I mentioned above.

--Jesse

You may need to do more research than checking this forum. While many of the ideas and techniques work for a hobbiest or a self employed person, they may not be in full compliance with the regualtions applicable to a commercial enterprise. I do many things in my home shop that would never be tolerated in the work place. Since you mention a product in your original post, it sounds like you may be on less than firm ground.

Don't waste money trying to rig up some sort of booth, go buy one or a used one, used are dirt cheap and usually come with the proper lights fan etc. The fans are sized properly to create proper pull for the booth, and usually cost less than you could buy just the fan for.

Graco guns are good as are Kremlins, which is what I use. I also use Chemcraft which is a good brand.