Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found an odd hatchet like tool... What was it for?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis NC View Post
    So, one of the handles must have broken off.
    I don't see how the pliers could operate without a second handle. Perhaps it is under the handle in the photo. Again, the patent may not be for that exact tool, but it seems that it is of a similar one. I particularly like the image in that patent. It's almost wall art.

Matt

Looks to me like the handle broke here.

hatchettBreak.jpg
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

Probably a fencing tool Bob, but it looks like half is missing. In order to pull a nail you need to grab it. It looks like the handle on the hatchet side broke off, making it a hammer with a floppy hatchet head attached.
    When in doubt, ask a Creeker.

I would call it a finger pincher, blood blister maker, and would probably have a couple other names for it after I proved it's first 2 uses.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Been gone a few days camping and just got back. I will examine it a bit closer and see if I can get a few better pics, but I am leading to a fencing multi tool more and more... Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Bob,

My thought is that it is a roofing tool. I'm not sure what the jaws do but, the in the rear of the jaws is an inertia cutter for nails / wire. BTW, if it is unwanted, I would like to adopt it.

Bob Haverstock