Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodturning Workshop feat. Stuart Batty

Blog Entries

Woodturning Workshop feat. Stuart Batty

Did anyone catch the latest (?) episode of Woodturning Workshop (Tim yoder's show)? Stuart Batty, a master turner from the UK, took over the lessons for the day... man, that guy is a beast on the lathe! He does production turning, and it shows in the speed (and agility) with which he removes wood.

He did an offset winged bowl... if you remove the time he stopped to talk about what he was about to do and replace it with the time edited out for operations like swapping chuck ends, it pretty much evens out... and he cut that bowl from blank to sanding-ready in a bit more than 20 minutes!

To watch him come in to the wing from the side and take just a hair's width all of the way to the center, well... I kept waiting for a catch every time he approached the wings, seeing that bowl fly off of the lathe and impale the cameraman. The final thickness appeared to be in the 1/8" range, and when Tim asked him about the use of calipers, he replied he's been doing it so long the only time the calipers come out is when he is going ultra-thin or ultra-deep... I estimate the bowl to be about 6" deep, and I have no doubts it was consistent throughout.

His use of a standard chisel (reground, of course) as a scraper was interesting, and I was surprised to hear him say he only got 15-20 seconds worth of turning before needing to put a new edge on the tool. Tearout was extremely low with just the gouge.

Speaking of gouges... the most amusing/surprising part was watching him start a cut inside the bowl (riding the bevel), but then moving his hand away from the tool rest. He truly did let the bevel ride the wood in, almost to the point of working one-handed.

Best WW/Yoder episode I've seen so far
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

That's why I like his show Dan, always something different going on. Hopefully his show is picked up next year, he is branching away from his PBS station and going out on his own..

I missed Stuart's demo at his booth in St Paul. I wish I could have seen him turn. His booth was set like a rock star was about to give a concert!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

It undoubtedly was impressive, as was his demo at the AAW, but I am quite sure it would have been better with Ashley Harwood there, too!

That one was among my favorite episode of Woodturning Workshop. Looks like you become pretty good at this turning thing after thousands and thousands of pieces turned. If he gets only 15-20 seconds between sharpenings, it is no wonder he has such an awesome sharpening setup!

Sadly....we got the show on PBS here for about 4 months then it went away. Now, we do get politcal shows in that time slot however?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My DVR is full of Woodturning Workshop episodes. Would love to see more.

Anyone know if it's offered online? I guess no one in California turns so it's not offered on PBS or cable system.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

i saw Stuart do Volcano bowl in tennessee, you should see the bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images

Me and 5 other guys had Stuart at my buddys shop for a day he turned and talked from 8 to 5:30. lunch was sub sandwiches from 12 to 1 and he keep talking while we ate. Then me my buddy and Stuart talked till about 7:30.One great day Oct.? 2004. Stuart is one of the pro's that I will see whenever I can wherever I can. His tool control is completely unbelievable and the way he explains what he's doing makes everything seem so easy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    the way he explains what he's doing makes everything seem so easy.
    I definitely liked that part... every time he went to turn on the lathe, he would mention doing it by hand to make sure there wasn't a catch... every time. Some great tips, too, such as sticking a piece of tape on the flying end of the wing as a soft warning to encroaching fingers.

I really wish this program was available around here or available online... Any chance one of you tech savvy guys can burn a copy from your DVR?

If your local PBS isn't carrying it.. the "Create" channel does, which I believe is mostly view on cable/sat tv

http://www.createtv.com/CreateProgra...msbyNOLA/WDWK#

It's worth a shot to look.

I tried to find episodes online with no success. We don't get it around here anymore. When I was seaching I found one network selling DVD's of full seasons but pretty pricey.

wwwDOTstoreDOTrsupublictvDOTorg/

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Blog Entries
    That's the public TV station that supported his work... evidently, no longer.