Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    ..... My advice: buy anything and everything you can think of in the way of sharpening. Buy doubles. Maybe triples. Get out there and stimulate the economy.........................
    And then sell the remainder for 10% of the new price on the SMC classifieds..............with free shipping, of course......
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

One item I see missing is a very coarse stone. I have a very coarse water stone (220 maybe). I rarely use it, but when I do it's great. Far more accurate than a grinder (for chisels and straight plane blades).

You could also buy a high school English book and learn how to use punctuation.

never mind the pictures wont load ill try again in a little bit once i cool down a bit if the thread isnt shut down by then

WOW !!!

Start with one of the really good books on sharpening by Hock or Lee.
    That would be the best way to spend the cash that is burning in your pocket.

( oh, and king stones only need to soak for ten to twenty minutes before use, with them soaking during sharpening while not in use , when you are done, take them out the water and let them dry out. )
    Last edited by John A. Callaway; 08-18-2011 at 9:48 PM.

0818012007.jpgi needed to add length to the massage

what are we looking at exactly ?

( Massage is the manipulation of superficial and deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue to enhance function, aid in the healing process, and promote relaxation and well-being )

sorry about that spelled message wrong typing way to fast well to start with i want to apologize for ranting and and swearing secondly i do try to take as much knowledge as i can
    so the bench is 34 inches to the top and it is solid oak frame under the cement board it is 63 inches by 17 inches
    the back wall and bench top is oak wood flooring i plan on tiling the base with some left over tile and the pond should be finished tomorrow the bench is in my basement shop (temporary kurt) until we can get the house finished and get permits for the garage and start breaking ground ill post more pics tomorrow if the thread isnt shut down

Why would the thread be shut down. I'm enjoying it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

myk you must have missed the previous post im glad your enjoying it

john do all stones have to dry out i would like to leave them in the water but if it will cause damage to the stone i wont i want to be able to do my sharpening as fast as possible with out having to wait for stones to soak but then again i guess thats what shaptons are for

So is the picture you posted of a bench that will be used for sharpening? Your initial post was asking about which sharpening method is most effective. Then you spoke of some type of stone pond fountain, now I see a blurry picture of a bench.

Just to clarify I have no idea what this thread is about.

PJS

-Also, please put some commas and periods in your sentences as they are annoying to read without.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Cady View Post
    A few months back he was bragging about the huge amount of cash in his account in order to build a new shop. My advice: buy anything and everything you can think of in the way of sharpening. Buy doubles. Maybe triples. Get out there and stimulate the economy. You never listen to anyone here anyway.
    kurt i have one question why ,why do you feel the need to comment and insult me every time i post something grow up
    Last edited by michael a nelson; 08-18-2011 at 11:03 PM.

i was taking the picture on my way out the door and you kneed a reality check if you think you can go around nit picking my every word get a life and go do something productive and if it is that annoying then dont read it

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    john do all stones have to dry out i would like to leave them in the water but if it will cause damage to the stone i wont i want to be able to do my sharpening as fast as possible with out having to wait for stones to soak but then again i guess thats what shaptons are for
    You dont have to let them dry out, but some folks have had problems with king stones crumbling along the edges, not to mention when winter comes. If your shop is not heated properly, you risk the water getting cold enough to start freezing, which will crack the stones. I keep my stones in a large tupperware container under the sink. If I am heading out to the shop I fill the tub up, and take it with me out there. When I am done working wood for the day I pour the water out and take the tupperware tub with me back into the house. This way the stones are wet if I need to sharpen, If not , I just dont use them.

And yes, having the luxury of shapton glass stones only requires a squirt bottle to wet the stone surface .