Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sharpening

sharpening

i want to get some more sharpening stuff (stones,ect.) but am un-sure of what to get next so far my set up consists of :
    two shapton glass stones 1000 and 4000 grit
    three king stones a 1000 a 4000/800 grit combo and a 6000 grit
    a bunch of oil stones
    a hard black Arkansas
    a work sharp 3000 with the honing abrasives kit and strops
    the rob cosman angle trainer
    and a large stone pond/sharpening bench in the works
    what else should i get also this setup is not only for wwing it is for sharpening knifes as well so what else would you recommend

thanks in advance

also have the stuff for the scary sharp method and a granite plate

You seem to have everything!!
    A few different methods...
    Maybe a couple of DVDs and lots of practise?

Get a handle..

on one method and stick with it, let it become second nature so you don't have to think about it. Just do it.

You have way too many things and not enough experience.
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

which method do you think would be the best one to stick with ?

+ 1 on the advice to use a single method. You'll then develop a feel for the elusive question : Is that enough yet? Otherwise you'll grind your blades — and the edge — into oblivion.

Except for a few oddly shaped tools (a froe, an axe) I use the Veritas power grinder. And only a touch-up with the finest grits.

also i want to add a pump to my stone pond so i can take water from the pond and put it up through a pipe then over the stone bridge on my pond so it can keep the stones wet when i sharpen ill post a pic later

never mind i cant do it on sketch up so you'll just have to imagine it

I attended a sharpening demo from Rob Cosman in vegas.

He only needed 3 items.

1. 1000 grit shapton
    2. 16,000 grit shapton
    3. Shapton diamond flattening stone (rubbed vigorously for a few seconds on the stone prior to use)

He said if you can't afford the shapton diamond flattening stone (which is pricey), then don't bother with his system because you need an absolutely flat stone.

For sharpening the planes, he used a thin steel ruler on the sharpening stone which gave a very small angle to the plane blade back. He did this trick to polish a very small back bevel / or basically to remove the wire edge perhaps.

His technique was awsome and fast, his plane took a shaving so thin it would float in the air like a piece of grocery bag. The shavings also had a static cling to them and they were sticking to his clothing...

If you do a lot of sharpening then woodcraft actually sells a 10,000 grit diamond plate that will be more durable than the shaptons. I have no idea whether that will be comparable to a 10K grit shapton, but at least you won't have to buy the shapton diamond tool and flatten every stone before use...

I use glass and sandpaper.
    Oh, and a Veritas jig.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

the rob cosman method is the one im liking the most anyone have any thoughts on the water pump idea for the pond

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    the rob cosman method is the one im liking the most anyone have any thoughts on the water pump idea for the pond
    Yes, it seems unnecessary. You are honing a fine edge not cutting marble slabs. Even if you did chose to move forward with this idea it would make your sharpening more difficult. Remember that the slurry that is created on a stone is what does the majority of the cutting. If you have water constantly pouring over the stone you will be washing away the slurry.

FWIW, I have accumulated nearly everything you listed and have gotten the best results from a 1x3ft 3/8in pane of glass, a can of spray adhesive, and 12 grits of sandpaper. If I am rehabbing an old chisel, ill shape the edge on a 100 grit and progress through 4000 grit to get a razor edge. I sometimes use an MKII jig, especially when shaping a bevel but am competent freehand as well. My advice would be to practice with what you have and see which method works best for you.

Peter

i see what you mean what about if the water just fell back into the pond to create movement so i could leave the same water with all my stones in it the majority of the time with out the water getting nasty ill be messing around with the idea tomorrow so hopefully ill have some cool pictures to post

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    i see what you mean what about if the water just fell back into the pond to create movement so i could leave the same water with all my stones in it the majority of the time with out the water getting nasty ill be messing around with the idea tomorrow so hopefully ill have some cool pictures to post
    Michael, with all due respect, you don't seem to really value the wisdom of other members so please, feel free to make a fountain in your stone pond. If you decide at some point to return to the pursuit of razor sharp tools, heed the advice in this thread.

Peter

You don't need nor want a pond with Shapton stone, that is the whole point with them. Just a small spray bottle is all they require.

Since you have them add a 16,000 grit and the flattening stone and that is all you will ever need. Pack up everything else and sell it, give it away or bury it.

Work on getting your technique down pat then quit worrying about it.
    If I had six hours to chop down a tree I'd hire someone else to do it and put my time to better use.

A few months back he was bragging about the huge amount of cash in his account in order to build a new shop. My advice: buy anything and everything you can think of in the way of sharpening. Buy doubles. Maybe triples. Get out there and stimulate the economy. You never listen to anyone here anyway.