Thread: The Most Frustrating Tool I've Ever Owned

The Most Frustrating Tool I've Ever Owned

I have just spent at least an hour and a half in frustration because of a poorly designed tool. The Jet drum sander (10-20) has to be the least user friendly tool I've ever encountered. Changing the paper on a sander should not be an exercise in frustration but at least for me it is. In searching around on the Net for tips on changing the paper I've discovered it isn't just me, but many, many people have the same problem. Some say use a special tool, others say the first thing they did was throw that tool out. Bottom line, in my opinion, is this tool was extremely poorly designed when it comes to changing the paper. Well I got that off my chest but the sandpaper still isn't snug enough to use the tool.

Blog Entries
    I am sorry you're having problems. I have the 16/32 and have changed the paper many times. There is a bit of a trick to it and I find the tool helps. Where are you? Perhaps someone could show you the trick.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Can you convert it to a hook & loop system? The H&L works very well on my Woodmaster and is a snap to change paper.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have a ryobi 16/32... the mechanism is identical. In fact from what I can tell, the whole tool is almost identical to the Jet version. They were probably made in the same factory for all I know.

It is really frustrating at first, but I think I've figured it out. There's no secret to it... you just have to fiddle with it your first few times until you get it. It's really hard to describe in writing... but let me try.

1) slip the first end of the paper into the end of the drum
    2) I use my right hand to un-roll the paper while turning the drum and simultaneously holding the paper on the drum as I roll it out.
    3) When you get to the end, figure out where the paper should fold to slip it into the slit in the drum. Fold the paper to about 90 degrees, while still holding the paper firmly onto the drum with your left hand.
    4) this is the part that sucks. Have scissors on-hand. Reach into the inside of the drum and pull the spring-loaded clamping mechanism back as far as you can.
    6) slip the paper into the slit. If you've pulled the spring-loaded clamp back far enough, it should go where it belongs.
    7) let the mechanism go, while still holding the paper on the drum with your left hand. In my case, I usually find that the paper is too long and I can't jam it in far enough... as a result, the paper won't be tight against the drum.
    8) pull the paper out of the mechanism and trim a little off the end. Repeat steps 6 & 7 until you have the length right.
    9) it still may be a little loose at the end. Try forcing the paper down into the locking mechanism while using your other hand to open up the clamp slightly.

To be sure, I never get the paper completely tight at the end, but it's really close. I haven't noticed any divots in my workpieces, so I assume the paper just compresses when the workpiece hits it. When the drum spins, it spreads some of that slack out across the length of the drum.

Hope that helped a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    When the drum spins, it spreads some of that slack out across the length of the drum.
    If it's like the Jet, that second clip is spring loaded not only to hold the paper but to take up the slack as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Actually I've looked at the Jet 16/32 and it appears to be easier to change the paper as there is more room for your fingers. The 10/20 would work better if one had very skinny fingers, which i don't. I am trying to follow the technique as suggested by Peter, but when I do it I end up with the paper less than totally snug in the middle. I just tried it that way and instead of getting tighter part of the paper tore so I am now using another one of the fairly expensive Jet rolls. I am in the San Francisco East Bay and the temp is up to 95 so I think I am going to take a break from this until it cools off.
    Last edited by David Moore CA; 08-17-2011 at 6:40 PM.

I pretty well use the identical method as Peter for my Jet 16/32. I also hate changing paper. Mechanism rots and should be redesigned. Other than that, the machine does a nice job sanding, though it desperately needs DRO.

Blog Entries
    have you searched youtube? maybe someone has a video showing the trick of doing it?
    or someone here that knows how should make a video?

I have a Performax 16/32 (for about a decade now) and have never had an issue changing paper since I got the "paper changing tool". I had a Ryobi 16/32 that was a piece of junk (one of the first). I won't go into all the reasons why I sold it, but changing paper on it was much more difficult than the Performax, even without the tool. If I remember correctly, the Ryobi was built using the Performx patent.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 08-18-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I gave away my Jet 10-20 for the very reason you describe (among other reasons). I now own the Jet 16-32. The paper is easier (I would not say "easy") to change. I got myself some curved small needlenose pliers (actually, I bent them myself to fit) and I use them to pull both ends tight once I find the darn clip space on the right side of the drum. It works pretty well. I also means that I can straighten out the left side paper with the pliers too. The spring loaded clip is helpful but it is necessary to find it first... the most frustrating part. I have small hands and that helps me get my fingers in but it is by no means an easy endeavor. If Jet ever redesigns that thing, I'd buy a new drum just to get it right. I'm not sure why they didn't put the spring loaded clip on the left...where it is open! The tool is useless, in my opinion.
    Otherwise the 16-32 is a nice machine!

I greatly appreciate this thread. If I do ever come up with the cash for a drum or belt sander I will make sure that I find out how easy it is to change the paper before I buy one.

What you are discussing sounds like trying to change the line on my string trimmer. I gave up on that years ago. It's much easier for me to hire someone to cut down all the weeds than try to restring the trimmer. I'd hate to have that kind of problem with a woodworking tool.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps