Thread: Compressor ignorance...

Compressor ignorance...

I'm going to go take a look at a Speedaire 4XA60. Supposedly just about new.

These are the stats I found online:

Electric Air Compressor
    2 Stage Stationary
    Cast Iron Pump
    7.5 Horse Power
    175 MAX PSI
    FREE AIR CFM @ 175 PSI : 23.1
    Voltage: 208-230
    Single Phase
    36 AMPS
    80 Gallon Capacity
    1/2" NPT Outlet
    80/20 Duty Cycle
    1000 RPM
    On Pressure Switch Setting: 140
    Off Pressure Switch Setting: 175
    Length: 23"
    Height: 76"
    Width: 24"
    2 Quart Oil Capacity

Online they go for $2500. Hoping to do waay better than that.

Says made in the USA. Good brand? Good model compressor? Any concerns?

I'd like to get it to run air tools in my shop. Thanks all for your help.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Gary, I don’t know about that particular model but I had a little 2hp/30gal Speedaire for over 20 years that was bullet proof. My son-in-law now has it.

I highly recommend getting a automatic drain valve for it.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Gary, The only thing to check if USA made is the pump and if it is fairly new it may not be. Companies have recently begun sourcing pumps from asia but if the price is right you will not wear it out. 80/20 means it is not continuous duty but meant to rest 20% but in a one or two man shop it will rest more than that. RPM is OK, less is more because less means the pump is bigger so it can run more slowly. Generally 700-1000 is about right. Probably splash lubricated rather than pressure lubed. Those have an oil filter and are the better but the compressor guy told me that was not important unless running it 24/7. I would see if the pressure switch is adjustable and if not put on a furnas type and run at 100 on and 150 off for woodworking but that is your call. Moter and pump work hard to maintain that last 25lbs. That compressor will pull a lot of amps on startup so you don't want it to cycle on and off very much. It probably won't unless you are running sanders but if it does you can put a device- I can't remember the name- that keeps the motor running and bypasses the compressor to avoid the hard starts. Checl ebay for compressor discount pricing to get comparables. The cheapest versions of the 7.5 go for about 1500-1700 and the better ones 1700-2200 and the best 3000. If newer I would guess 1000-1500 but that is a wild guess. Dave

That's a nicely spec'd compressor. The only thing that isn't that great is the duty cycle- you would expect a compressor that big to have a 100% duty cycle. However, that one puts out a lot of air so chances are it won't be a problem for you unless you run a commercial shop or sand blast a lot.

The device David Kumm is talking about is called an unloader- it holds the intake valves closed with air pressure to prevent compression and allows the machine to idle until it calls for more air. I have one on my Quincy, and it is a nice device- it saves a lot of wear on the motor if you are doing things like sanding. Most of the time you will either need to change the head or the valve towers to accommodate the device. There are also machines that have a hydraulic unloader to prevent compression until the oil pressure comes up, and some compressors have an unloader as part of the electric pressure switch to ease starting load on the motor.

Gary, I have a similar compressor. It is a serious volume, industrial compressor and way overkill for your average home shop.

First, the downside. The start up current surge on that 7.5 hp motor is well over 100 amps (I just started mine and looked at my line amp meters to verify). If you're on a 200 amp service, it will dim every light on the service when it starts up. If you're on a smaller service, it may not start when under pressure. Keep in mind that 7.5 hp is about the limit for a single phase motor.

Second, it is LOUD, much louder than smaller compressors. In order to muffle the noise, mine is now installed in a room that has three layers of sound deadening (open cell spray foam in the walls, 5/8" sheetrock, and then 1/2" sound deadening jute boards.

Third - it is extremely heavy, and it has a large footprint.

On the positive side, Dayton and Speedaire products are top of the line. You will have enough volume from that compressor to run a large glass bead blasting cabinet, should you wish. I supply multiple buildings on my farm with air from mine, including the shop where we work on heavy equipment (using 3/4" and 1" impacts - real air hogs).

If I were spending in that ballpark I would look at a Eaton, their having a sale now and the standard features and 5 year warranty cant be beat. This run is going for $1600 plus shipping; the shipper they use has good rates.
    http://www.eatoncompressor.com/catal...47/6112301.htm

Gary, agree with Scott, unless you've got some air hungry tools to run, this may be more compressor than you really need. can you state what air tools you want to run?. Maybe you have some larger ones that aren't common in many shops like a blasting cabinet or multiple sanders? A nicely made 5HP 2 stage unit will keep up with alot of tools and not require a fairly large service line like the 7.5HP electrical motor would. Let us know......

I would go with larger if you currently do or plan to use spray guns for finishing, if not as others have stated a smaller unit will do the trick.

Got by with a 5hp speedair for many many years. It will run several sanders but it will run a lot in the process. I think we had 3 sanders going at once for a short time before some of the other machines started to "complain" One thing to check for is a lot of oil in the air stream. You are going to get water in the air and also a light trace of oil, but a lot of oil is not good.

The tools I'm thinking of are a sander, router, drill and die grinder. One man shop.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Gary, A 5 hp two stage is more than enough for sanding and grinding. I bought a used Kellogg American that was rebuilt for $800 delivered and it has served me well. I would spend less on the compressor and look for a used Hankinson high temp dryer as you will be spitting water through your sander without it in humid times. Dave

I just bought a new compressor. I tried to buy a Jenny shop compressor, really tried, but the freight accross the country was just too much ..
    I ended up ordering a Champion 5hp x 80 Gallon unit.
    Speedair is a good brand. Acklands Grainger sells them, and I believe owns them.
    The thing to watch on any machine is the pump speed as well as the pump. That machine is running 1000 RPM, which is moderate speed.

If I purchased it, I would probably change the motor to a 5hp and reduce the pump speed to the low 700's .. This would make it quieter, and it would likely run forever.
    23 CFM of actual delivered air is loads. It will likely run anything you put in front of it.

SpeedAire is a good industrial brand, so long as you aren't using it commercially, it should outlast you, your son, and your grandson. Just buy it and enjoy, that size shouldn't limit anything you do.
    Mike Harrison

Gary, if you're operating a professional shop and have plenty of power, if you can get that Speedair compressor for less than $1,500.00 you'd be getting a real deal. Make no mistake - Speedair is a highly respected U.S. brand that is sold and serviced by Graingers. Durability wise, their products are industrial quality.

David's advice re a good dryer is very sound. If you opt for a 5 hp compressor, try to get the largest storage tank that you can (80 gallon preferred). Your die grinder will use up a lot of air, and excess storage goes a long way to make up for a smaller compressor.

As a comparison, a complete Ingersol Rand similar compressor sells new from Northern for $2,500.00

I second Davids recommendation. A good 5hp two stage is plenty. Water is a problem (both sanding and spraying and sand blasting even). Save the money and apply it to something else.