Thread: 4x4x12 oak

4x4x12 oak

Does any one know of a source for 4x4x12 oak? i need to make some tapered turnings for a customer and i can not find it in oak? Which wood burns worse when under heat pressure? Oak or Maple?

No help on the source, but from the info I can find, maple ignites much faster than does red oak. I would assume that same rationale applies to a friction burn, which seems to be what you are asking. http://www.fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/fire99/PDF/f99043.pdf

I've gotten 4 x 4 in oak, maple, cherry, walnut, etc., from Jeff at http://hardwoodstore.com/ Not sure where you are, but I guess they'd ship.

If they don't have it, maybe they'd steer you to a source. They're certainly nice folks.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

I have a Niece that works at a New Holland tractor store. She has brought me many large pieces of wood from the big pallets they receive equipment on. Some are oak 4 X 4 several feet long. Some are even 6 X 4. You might check stores that sell large equipment. They just toss the wood.
    "We the People ........"

+1 on salvaging pallet woods. I have picked up several 2x2 and 4x4 pallet runners of various species including Oak and some exotic foreign woods. I pick mine up at a wooden flooring distributor. They get flooring in from all over the world and on occasion (when I ask) they will save me nicer looking pallet wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Douglass View Post
    I have a Niece that works at a New Holland tractor store. She has brought me many large pieces of wood from the big pallets they receive equipment on. Some are oak 4 X 4 several feet long. Some are even 6 X 4. You might check stores that sell large equipment. They just toss the wood.

"The best things in life are not things."

This is a saw mill that caters to turners, you can call him. He will ship. He has some good woods.

http://www.caglumber.com/

I assume that you want red oak
    I currently have it in 10 x 10 x 48 inch
    and some that is smaller square pieces would have to look
    don't get much call for it
    I had those pieces cut for a person who had wanted howitzer shells turned from red oak
    changed his mind when he heard the cost
    the wood is still here
    Ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

where are you located? i have tons of oak around me that can be cut
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I needed some 4x4 stuff for some table legs awhile back. I wound up buying the stuff they use to keep the wood boards off the floor. I was very surprised at what I could get out of those pieces and the price was cheap.