Thread: DX - Bill Pentz and the ambient air filter

DX - Bill Pentz and the ambient air filter

Hi!

Second and final post for the day - don't worry, I'm not going to begin my stay here by bombarding the forum with new threads.

I was reading Mr Pentz's thoughts on DC/DX and I notice he said that when he got himself into the sticky situation he was running an ambient air filter. I have one too, a Jet AFS-500. I had understood that these things were the bee's knees and when combined with my other vacuums, and my mask - I was well protected? BP seems to be saying otherwise - or am I reading him wrong?

Thanks!

I think the upshot is if there is anything in the air for that filter to work on, then you have already been exposed to breathing it. I guess if you wear breathing protection while you are creating the dust then that filter will help to clear the air faster after you finish cutting so you could "safely" remove the protection sooner. I have so much dust in my shop just from the environment that I think that filter would be beneficial for reducing the dust buildup on shelves and the like...

Quote Originally Posted by Hector M Torvisque View Post

Second and final post for the day - don't worry, I'm not going to begin my stay here by bombarding the forum with new threads.

!
    Hector, I've been posting here for a while now, and I think that you are fine to submit as many constructive posts as you see fit.

In any case, I think that Jerome gave the right answer.

Welcome
    Steve

Some say to use the ambient filter just to clean the air after you leave the shop so you have clean air to go in. The idea is that dust produced will get pulled up past your air intake zone (mouth / nose) and you will be exposed to more dust. I have found that isn't always the case. I ran into some budget issues so I had to pass on the Dylos buy but I would venture an educated guess due to smell, that running the ambient filter is FAR healthier than not. I want a Dylos to measure my ideas and see if they hold true...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The point is that you should focus as much as possible on collecting the dust at the source. But I would be surprised if Pentz is outright against air filtration systems.

As much as you try, some dust will escape your dust collector's grasps. Some of that you will breathe in while standing in that work area during and after your cutting procedure, which of course isn't ideal... But to me, it's about reducing that as much as possible. Completely eliminating that level of dust exposure is really impractical for the hobby shop.

The air filtration system helps capture the airborne dust that hangs in the air and moves to other areas of the shop. It shouldn't be considered the most important or primary means of dust collection, but it's a secondary or tertiary backup... and in my opinion, worth having.

If nothing else, it keeps air stirring in the shop...

My wife saw someone working who had a box fan with a furnace filter taped to it. Not a bad idea.

I've actually been amazed at the effects of the Jet 1000B Air cleaner since my Dylos monitor came a few days ago.

My baseline # of small particles seems to be about 350-500. Even using my 5HP cyclone, when I use my table saw, the count goes to about 1000, then drifts down to about 500 or so if I keep the cyclone running. But when I turn on the Jet Air Cleaner, especially on the high setting, the particle count goes down to around or below 100. It's pretty impressive. I was worried about it being in the wrong location, but after seeing the Dylos readings, it's staying just where it is.

So, basically, I think if money and space are no object, a combination of the two is best. And I now think of it as a way to allow me to take off my dust mask sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I've actually been amazed at the effects of the Jet 1000B Air cleaner since my Dylos monitor came a few days ago.

My baseline # of small particles seems to be about 350-500. Even using my 5HP cyclone, when I use my table saw, the count goes to about 1000, then drifts down to about 500 or so if I keep the cyclone running. But when I turn on the Jet Air Cleaner, especially on the high setting, the particle count goes down to around or below 100. It's pretty impressive. I was worried about it being in the wrong location, but after seeing the Dylos readings, it's staying just where it is.

So, basically, I think if money and space are no object, a combination of the two is best. And I now think of it as a way to allow me to take off my dust mask sooner.
    Having purchased the Dylos, I too have found that running the Delta Air Cleaner with a HEPA filter on it, while in the shop running power tools or not, has lowered the particle count. Turning on the air cleaner while you are sawing, sanding, etc then shutting it off afterwards or a short time afterwards has little if any effect. I've been leaving mine run while in the shop and set the timer for 1-4 hours after I leave depending on what I'm doing in the shop that day. When I enter the shop in the mornings, the count is around 44-88. That's better than the house!

My results with the Dylos mirror the others. Shop is in the 300-500 range until I turn on the overhead cleaner and the monitor drops to 100-150. Working moves the count from 1500-5000 depending on what I'm doing-5000 being cleaning the dust filters on the cyclone. Without the overhead it takes forever to bring the count down to less than 500, with it on it takes an hour or so with my current filters. I'm now using the overhead when I turn on the lights. Dave

I'm having similar experiences without an ambient air filter.

I purchased the 0.5 micron Dylos and the readings are aproximately 500 when the shop hasn't been used for a couple of days.

If I start the cyclone in 5 minutes it's down to aproximately 200, and after 15 minutes it's in the 120 range.

Regards, Rod.

I have the 0.5 micron Dylos too. It sits around 10-30. Jumps up into the 200-300 if I am doing stuff without out adequate DC (which I am always trying ti figure out how to solve). Cross cut sled, dados, router...but the worst is breaking down sheet goods with the circular saw. Even with the shop vac hooked up to the saw the mess it makes is astounding.

I generally vacuum up several times during my time in the shop. And after a project is complete or I am at a logical milestone such as finishing or even glue up, I'll give the shop a real thorough vacuuming and blow out.

I like to bring a box fan into the shop, point it in a direction presents the greatest potential to kick up the most settled dust and let it and the ambient filter run for a couple hours. The main thing is to get those particles into the jet stream so the ambient filter can capture them. Since these particles are so light, it is a pretty easy task.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    I have the 0.5 micron Dylos too. It sits around 10-30. Jumps up into the 200-300 if I am doing stuff without out adequate DC
    Wow. 10-30. Where do you live? We don't have air anywhere near that clean down here. Can you bottle some of that air and sell it to us?