Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting jointer blades

Setting jointer blades

I have a Powermatic 6", long bed jointer. I can easily get the blades adjusted until I tighten them. Tightening invariable moves the knife. I can tighten as slowly and evenly as I want, but the knives always move. The only way I can get them even is to run a diamond sharpener over them. (Powermatic recommends this.) Does anyone know a way to get the knives adjusted without grinding?

Make sure the gibs are snug against the knives when you make the final adjustment. The knives should raise up a consistent amount. Mine raise .001 to .002. Yours may be different due to the knife angle and grind but they should all move about the same so adjust shy by that amount. I try to get within .002. Any closer is great but doesn't change my life. I use oneway dial indicators although I haved replaced the dial with a Starrett because it is less jumpy. The key is keep the gibs putting pressure on the knife as you adjust. Dave

Make sure everything is spankin clean.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

First, watch this video a few times.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39096587014177

I use a wixey digital height gauge and set the knives at .000 or -.001. To do this I snug them a little high, then beat them down with a wodden mallet. Once you do this a few times, you will wonder what all the talk is about, it really is that easy. It's a one beer job. (with the jointer unplugged, of course, with the jointer plugged in, you will need tequila)

I've tried a variety of methods, but have settled on this one:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolG...e.aspx?id=5294

It's by far the easiest of all I have tried.

I watched both of those. The one with magnets did not address movement when tightening. The other one was less than impressive. It seemed that he was just going back and forth: tap too hard and you are too low. Getting one nut just right moved the blade under another nut. My jointer has allen bolts under the blade. The blade cannot go lower than a bolt position. But it can, and does go up. the amount of movement is different from blade to blade and across the width of a blade. Maybe next time I will try putting PSA abrasive on the cutter head side of a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kayser View Post
    The other one was less than impressive. It seemed that he was just going back and forth: tap too hard and you are too low. Getting one nut just right moved the blade under another nut. My jointer has allen bolts under the blade. The blade cannot go lower than a bolt position. But it can, and does go up. the amount of movement is different from blade to blade and across the width of a blade. Maybe next time I will try putting PSA abrasive on the cutter head side of a blade.
    That's about how it works. I can do it on my griz 12 inch jointer in less than 30 minutes, and if I try, probably less than 15. And the knives do move around a little as they are tightened.

There really are no tricks other than what is in the video, and the willingness to try it a few times without becoming frustrated. Maybe a Byrd head?

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck using a jointer pal knife setting jig.

Too easy really.

PHM

Machine the end of the bolts that contact the blades and make sure they are perfectly flat.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth kayser View Post
    I watched both of those. The one with magnets did not address movement when tightening.
    Hasn't been a problem for me. The jig is held down firmly to the table, so it would be nearly impossible for the knife to raise up while tightening. I suppose it could lower while tightening, but it would have to free itself from the magnet, which would create an audible click when it broke free. I've never experienced that.

Blog Entries
    On my jointer, A Powermatic PJ-882, When they are not tightened the knives are held up a little by a spring.

I try to tighten the knives evenly and kind of gently, they cant go up because the jointer pal has them, they cant go down because the spring pushes them up.

Maybe I'm just lucky as my jointer is just kind of easy in regard to knive changes.

PHM

The blade moves because the bolt end that contacts the blade is poorly machined. Have a look and see if it is perfectly flat, generally they are not and everything else is a band aid to overcome the issue. It should be a two piece assembly so the contact face does not revolve with the bolt but that is a big ask from manufacturers trying to keep the price down.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I do have a method of measuring top dead center (TDC) accurately. Lay a good straightedge, edge down on the outfeed table. Now, rotate the blade under the straightedge. If the blade is too low, nothing happens. If it is too high, it will lift the straightedge and drag it toward the infeed table. You can put an indicator on the top of the blade (over the knife) to measure the lift. However, after a few measurements, you will know how much drag equals how much lift. On my jointer 0.001 lift equals 1/16th drag; 0.002 equals 1/8th inch drag, etc.

After I put new blades in last time, it trimmed them with a diamond board per mfgrs. instructions. They came out perfectly at 0.002 high; so 0.002 high must be correct for my machine.

Now to the movement problem. I don't think it is possible to maintain the bolt heads parallel to the knife. However, I think I will try smoothing the bolt heads and rounding them just a bit. Then, I will apply some anti-seizing compound to reduce friction. If that does not work, I will try removing some bolt head material in the area of the bolt head which is turning "up" when tight. This will force the bolt to move the blade down. The blade cannot move down because there are adjustable bolts on the bottom of the blade. Relying on anything to keep the blades from rising will not work well because the cutter head will simply rotate off center a bit. Also note that TDC for the blade is not equal to TDC for the cutter head because the blade slot does not go through the center of rotation. As the blade goes in and out of the slot, TDC for the blade edge moves.

Been there. I got the best results by experimenting with the bolt tightening sequence on each gib. Tighten the ones that cause the least movement first.
    - Tom

Kenneth has good points.
    I use a ruler on edge to adjust mine, setting for 1/8" drag.
    Jointing the blades after installation will guarantee they are all set the same.

I have a slightly different situation on my newest jointer. An 8" late 1930s JD Wallace. The head has what they called "skewed knives". They are set in the head at an angle, like an early helical head.
    They require jointing after installation, because the ends of the knives are .002" higher in the arc than the centers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night