Thread: Dovetail saw Build Question

Blog Entries

Question Dovetail saw Build Question

I have a LN thin plate (.015") dovetail saw that is 10" long, 15 PPI. I love the thin plate as I find it cuts quickly and accurately, particularly with thinner stock (drawers etc.).

I prefer a slightly longer dovetail saw and am considering building .015" plate version that is 12" long. My problem is I can't seem to find slotted brass saw back material with slots less than .018" wide. I've built other backsaws using laminated and folded brass back techniques and haven't had a lot of success. I really prefer the slotted brass saw backs.

I'm wondering if I use loctite to secure the .015" plate within the .018" slot in the saw back if I'm asking for trouble? I'm not sure if the Loctite will securely fill the .003" gap? Maybe using epoxy instead of Loctite could eliminate this problem?

I haven't historically had a problem with kinking blades I don't expect the jobs I will be using this saw for will generate a tremendous amount of heat, but I would hate to go through the entire build and then find out the plate won't stay securely attached and straight in the slotted back.

I very much appreciate any advice or suggestions from the many talented and experienced saw builders here in the Cave.

Many thanks, Mike

No problem at all to put the .018" slotted backs in a vise and squeeze the slot thinner. Just work your way across. When we made all those back saws,I had made a wide press with copper lined jaws so as to not mar the brass backs much(I wanted to avoid a lot of smoothing up work on them later as there were so many saws to deal with. I just visually squeezed the slots a bit thinner than the blades were. You can do the same thing by progressively squeezing your back through an ordinary width vise with wooden jaws.

Blog Entries
    My problem is I can't seem to find slotted brass saw back material with slots less than .018" wide.
    I am curious as to where you found this and can it be ordered on line?

tia,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd assume he's talking about the slotted brass back material available on the Wenzloff site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I am curious as to where you found this and can it be ordered on line?

tia,

jtk
    Jim,

Joshua is right on - I get the slotted brass saw backs, saw plates and split nuts from Mike Wenzloff and order from his website. He has always been extremely helpful and great to work with -- always willing to answer questions and provide nonstandard size stocks saw parts when possible.

I've also purchased punched saw plates from Dominic Greco who I met here in the cave - he is also great to work with. I certainly can't speak for Dominic but I believe he is working on being able to provide slotted saw backs as well.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike!

Yup, slotted backs are in the future. As soon as my business partner finished re-assembling his milling machine we're going to make a couple and see how they go.
    Dominic Greco