Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas gift idea - ideas???

Christmas gift idea - ideas???

Ok, so I'm happy with the family crest I've created in CX3, now I have to figure out what to do with it...

I originally wanted to 'layer' it by cutting out sections, but the mantle makes this just about impossible since it goes in front of and behind 3 times... I could re-position it so it stays behind the shield.

I guess I could create hairlines on EVERYTHING and peel back each section to paint it on a nice piece of finished wood, or ???? , I'd just have to be careful for the smaller areas.

I could blast this if I get my s/b unit up and running (never used it before, though), or find a local person with a unit

What would you do?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

I would go for an inlay effect. You seem to have Black, Gray, & White. Start with a light colored wood - light poplar, maple or something like that.
    1. Cut out all of the Black & inlay/replace it with a dark wood (black walnut), then laser the gray areas.
    -or-
    2. Cut out all of the Black & Gray areas & inlay/replace with a dark wood and a medium color wood (stains work well for this task).
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I think I would go for building it up back to front using full width sheets of thin wood to get some heft to it. Use different colored woods, alter grain direction and build up areas with dummies as in Intarsia, etc Could be a fun project, but I wouldn't plan on having it done by this Christmas.
    Ray Mighells Killbuck NY
    Nice Wood For Laser
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=155

I have to make 7 copies, too, btw
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

Seven ideas:
    1. Edgelit nightlight (everybody's favorite!)
    2. Votive candle holder
    3. Tree or hanging ornament
    4. Glasses
    5. Leather mousepad
    6. Mirror, as part of a border design or in the center
    7. Black granite or marble: coasters, small standing decoration, wall hanging, trivet

All easy and without the need to cut out millions of pieces.

I'm sure there are a hundred more.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,

Coasters have been my primary idea since I've been creating the crest - something that's usable all year long. And display'able.

Can I get different "shades" in marble? I only need 3, but 4 would be better.
    Can I color fill?

Tim,

I like the inlay idea a VERY close second - because I can use full color. And the circles are coins - so I was going to use gold leaf paint and sprinkle some Pearl Ex pigment powder to make it really shimmer.
    Last edited by Mike vonBuelow; 08-21-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer

Hey Mike one other option you have is on some of the layers you can engrave on to give that layer two depths I Did this using the basic 5 military Seals I also added a close up of the Air Force Seal. So instead of extra layer of wood I just engraved the layer. These will be clocks when finished.0817154409.jpg0821095510.jpg Hope this helps
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike vonBuelow View Post
    Dee,

Coasters have been my primary idea since I've been creating the crest - something that's usable all year long. And display'able.

Can I get different "shades" in marble? I only need 3, but 4 would be better.
    Can I color fill?

Tim,

I like the inlay idea a VERY close second - because I can use full color. And the circles are coins - so I was going to use gold leaf paint and sprinkle some Pearl Ex pigment powder to make it really shimmer.
    Mike,

Yes, you can color fill stone. Two options are: artists oil paint (from tubes) for a soft look or litho ink for a bolder look. You will have to seal after wards for permanence. Another thing you might consider is using hatching patterns to differentiate the colored areas. Hatching, cross-hatching, dot patterns, etc. in addition to solid engraving will give you varying tones.

Another coaster idea is to use clear plexi, engrave the back.

cheers, dee
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 08-21-2011 at 1:51 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Craig, those are really nice! I like the use of the layered look and they will be exceptional as clock faces. Will you finish them with paint or stain? What will the rest of the clock be made of?

Thanks for sharing, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Mike check out Roy Brewer's video on converting to a halftone pattern, this may
    work for what you are doing.

If you had dye sub, I'd recommend polyester napkins they are cheap and would be
    nice for place settings through the holidays.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Dee, Thanks I most likely will put a coat of stain prior to the cutting and then the clocks movements when installed will be the hanger.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

numberclock.jpgcat frame.jpgclock vector.cdr

Here's a couple of things I tried for gift ideas. the cat frame was from Steve Good's website
    for scroll saw. The clock was just a little time in Photoshop to type and place the numbers,
    then converting in Corel Trace and then some cleanup. Put a clock movement in the center,
    cut a backer board (masonite?) a bit oversized and a contrasting color behind it.. I did mine
    in 1/8" birch

ps.. the black stuff on the jpeg of the clock isn't in the file.. there was some schmutz on
    the scanner glass that I didn't see till later. (so much for scanning 'cured' poly resin..)
    Last edited by Chuck Stone; 08-22-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Chuck, that clock face is WILD! I imagine red hands would really pop. Don't you hate it when you carefully position something and scan a hair or something right in there?

Red Coin Mah Jong

Engraved glass is always classy and purposeful. A coat of arms on a set of stemmed wine or champagne glasses would be really nice-- its an appropriate motif on an appropriate item. I have made gifts like this and they always go over well. For me, the graphics work best if they are black white, no grey scale.

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

I've decided! One of my ex-co-workers has a laser and a sandblasting setup - so I've placed an order for mixed drink sized glasses (yes my family like to drink).

Each male relative (& family) will get a 4-pack with the crest etched.

I have all the makings for a sandblaster setup too, but I need some help with the hose setup, and some basic instruction so I don't blow myslef up, or blast my face with abrasive.

Chuck,
    Cool Clock! Looking forward to seeing it finished.
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

LaserPro 50W Explorer