Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Sub Forum - Food, Glorious Food

Wink New Sub Forum - Food, Glorious Food

I have noted a tendency recently for threads in the OT forum to veer off track to food. I've also noted new threads devoted completely to food. I've come to the conclusion that woodworkers must be a hungry lot.

Several of us (6 in this instance) have decided to petition Keith to start a new sub forum combining food and woodworking. We need a catchy, interesting name for the forum - something like . . . Ripping Recipes . . . or maybe Food to Make Your Saw Stop (NO hotdog recipes allowed). Let's stay away from Foods that Turn Your Stomach. Perhaps some of the Neanderthals can throw in their thoughts on cooking over an open fire, and I'm sure the Turners could teach us a few things about rotisserie cooking. We'll let the Carvers answer those pesky holiday questions about turkeys and hams and legs of lamb. The Finish guys will cover sauces and glazes. I see where this could be a most helpful forum. You wouldn't have to search all over the internet for something fancy to prepare for dinner with your partner, you could discuss wood working with your friends and get their advice on great food all at the same time. So let's hear your suggestions for the new forum name.

Please note, this really is a joke so don't start giving me grief about monkeying with a good thing!!

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda.....I can only speak for myself but I'm not sure my waistline could handle this new sub-forum you are suggesting.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

LOL!
    Clever turn of words, Belinda!
    I'll second the idea of something cutting edge to help us shape not only our projects, but ourselves as well.
    The best route to a man's heart is via his stomach, as they say.
    I knew before I even saw this post you'd come up with something to hammer out the details.

& Ken, don't be so quick to nail this idea down!
    I'm sure w/all of us putting our heads together we can find a way to trim away the excess such a forum would generate.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 08-21-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    We'll have to let the guys who prefer a natural look to their projects deal with any cooking done with grains. Grains and Gouges?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

In order to address Ken's concerns, perhaps a requirement of a 1:1 posting ratio of food to exercise posts in the new forum?

Presently I'm on a diet, but I'm getting tired of it. I strongly support the idea of a food sub-forum. I actually enjoy eating good food more than woodworking (and more than about anything else other than the humans in my life), but I don't view them as mutually exclusive.

It would need to be closely moderated. My experience with food discussions is that they can become quite argumentatiive with threats, name-calling and all, kind of like sharpening methods.
    Last edited by Gary Hodgin; 08-21-2011 at 1:32 PM.

BTW....I really wasnt' worried about waddling into shop as I have a 36" walk-in door and a 10' garage door. It would not take much to put a remote contolled garage door opener on the garage door.

Getting into the house, OTOH, could become a problem as the back door that I normally use is only 32" but luckily the front door is 36". Walking the extra distance would qualify as exercise.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    In order to address Ken's concerns, perhaps a requirement of a 1:1 posting ratio of food to exercise posts in the new forum?
    Good idea Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hodgin View Post
    Presently I'm on a diet, but I'm getting tired of it. I strongly support the idea of a food sub-forum. I actually enjoy eating good food more than woodworking (and more than about anything else other than the humans in my life), but I don't view them as mutually exclusive.

It would need to be closely moderated. My experience with food discussions is that they can become quite argumentatiive with threats, name-calling and all, kind of like sharpening methods.
    I see your point, Gary, it's like that peecan/pecon debate. Folks can get mighty particular when it comes to recipes and such. A dash of this, a smidge of that . . . hmmm, I wonder if they make measuring spoons that measure 32nds. When it comes to food and wine I'm somewhat of a SNOB (seeking newly opened bottle).

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

is this a 32nd of a ounce or of a inch ? 32nd of a oz is already in the book

Blog Entries
    I"m definitely in! Though I agree this could turn to the dark side. Can you imagine the arguments around the precision needed for baking vs. that needed for cooking. Cooking is Jazz. Baking is precision.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I like my steaks almost walking(VERY, VERY RARE), my chicken cooked on the grill, corn on the cob on the grill. Ah heck cook everything outside and I .......headed to the kitchen for food.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

How about "Wood Food", kind of hoakey play on good food. My single obsession in life is eating and trying new food, new restaurants. For different reasons that those mentioned this could be dangerous as I may go broke. Great idea though.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 08-21-2011 at 4:58 PM. Reason: rypo

Belinda, I figured you'd start something like this.
    Randy

Don't worry abuot tommorrow, it may never arrive
    Don't fret over yesterdays mistake, you can't undo them
    Just live today the best you can.

I wonder if we could get L-V to make some precision cooking utensils......or Onieda to make a cooking DC......5 HP...sucks the laminate off you countertop....keep the kids out of the kitchen or look for them in barrel.........the rants about the Grizzly mixer ....or whether Harbor Freight isn't just as good at 1/4th the price.

We'll need to add some more Mods, I'm sure.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moore View Post
    Belinda, I figured you'd start something like this.
    It's my calling Randy, I'm going for 100 posts . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I wonder if we could get L-V to make some precision cooking utensils......or Onieda to make a cooking DC......5 HP...sucks the laminate off you countertop....keep the kids out of the kitchen or look for them in barrel.........the rants about the Grizzly mixer ....or whether Harbor Freight isn't just as good at 1/4th the price.

We'll need to add some more Mods, I'm sure.
    More Mods - yep, I'm thinkin' so. The Grizzly mixer, by the way, is a work of art! For butter molds and such Harbor Freight is just as good as any other supplier. If you are talking cast iron though, I do believe there are better producers.

Bella Terra