Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Sub Forum - Food, Glorious Food

What are the best wood chips for various meats and do you cut your own? I use hickory mostly for pork and mesquite for beef, but that's all I've experimented with. I've got some cherry, but haven't tried it. I bought mine precut at the store. In a way, this is woodworking. We might want to avoid marinates all together. They're about as controversial as politics and religion.

Excellent idea, Belinda. I was actually thinking of asking Keith to do just this but didn't get around to it. I was thinking we should call it "Foodworking".

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hodgin View Post
    What are the best wood chips for various meats and do you cut your own? I use hickory mostly for pork and mesquite for beef, but that's all I've experimented with. I've got some cherry, but haven't tried it. I bought mine precut at the store. .
    Gary........Did you buy your wood chips at the store...or your meats.........or both.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Gary........Did you buy your wood chips at the store...or your meats.........or both.
    Unfortunately, I have to do both. I probably could do the wood chips, except I don't know of a local supplier of mesquite and I'd have to find someone that'd let me could down their apple or peach tree. I could hand the hickory and cherry parts, but I hate to cut up some cherry for wood chips.

My dad would be ashamed at me for having to buy all my meat at the store. He loved to hunt and fish. Since I don't have any hogs or cattle I'd have to hunt or fish. I gave up hunting years ago and don't fish much anymore. There are some squirrels and a few rabbits hanging around in our sub-division. I could probably take a few of them out with my pellet gun, but I never really cared much for the their meat, although my grandmother made some great squirrel and dumplings. My grandfather loved squirrel and people would bring them all the time. I think the reason I like the S&D so well was that I loved dumplings and my grandmother always served them with some delicious cornbread.I'd still be fishing if I could catch enough for a meal even though I normally threw them back. I was a catch-and-release guy, but when when you're not catching, the sport losses its fascination pretty fast.

''mess hall''
    ''how to cook for dummies, woodworkers adition''
    ''making saw dust makes you hungry"
    "food and wood"
    ""THE KITCHEN" the other workshop"
    just some name ideas :P
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

Blog Entries
    We make a lot of sawdust... how about "Chips and Salsa"?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

SMC >Saw Mill Culinaries

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Major View Post
    SMC >Saw Mill Culinaries

Mark
    or SMC - Sawmill Creek Cuisine

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/sawdust-salad/Detail.aspx

Sawdust Salad . . . our first recipe.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    Bella Terra

Chips, chops, and other edibles?

This should be fun for my budget. The cooking forums I've been involved with in the past have demonstrated to me quite clearly that you can be as tool obsessed in the kitchen as you can be in the shop. And the tools are every bit as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    .....The cooking forums I've been involved with in the past have demonstrated to me quite clearly that you can be as tool obsessed in the kitchen as you can be in the shop. And the tools are every bit as expensive.
    And often every bit as unnecessary. There are few jobs in the kitchen that can't be handled with a couple of good knives and an accurate thermometer. Beware the widgets, in shop and in kitchen!

Saw-Dust Salad sounds awesome. I copied and pasted the recipe for future reference. Thanks Belinda. I think you are on to something.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    And often every bit as unnecessary. There are few jobs in the kitchen that can't be handled with a couple of good knives and an accurate thermometer. Beware the widgets, in shop and in kitchen!
    So make me some ice cream. Heck, make me some whipped cream to go with it.

The question, as with any tool, is whether it is justified in your kitchen based on the type of work you do in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric DeSilva View Post
    So make me some ice cream. Heck, make me some whipped cream to go with it.

The question, as with any tool, is whether it is justified in your kitchen based on the type of work you do in there.
    Good point, Eric. I don't care how finely you chop it you can't make whipped cream with knives. A whisk is the bare minimum here.

Bella Terra