Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allan Batty >> A Legendary Artist and Woodturner

Allan Batty >> A Legendary Artist and Woodturner

I started the week determined to turn a “SECRET BOX” which I had the privilege of learning from a woodturning legend: Mr. Allan Batty.

After I was done with it, I realized how lucky I was to have spent time with the only living woodturner to go through an apprenticeship in England. I am sure all of us when we finish turning a piece, we have that incredible sense of accomplishment. We might even catch ourselves saying: "Man... I'm awesome! Look what I've done. I must confess that I caught myself saying: "Man... I still got it".

When I came upstairs to show my wife, I had an encounter with reality. There sat in my bedroom, one of the most gorgeous pieces of woodturning I have ever seen in my life. Allan Batty's Spinning Wheel.

Perhaps this might have to be a DOUBLE POST, because of the gorgeous pictures I have. The Spinning Wheel given to us as a gift was made out of an English Yew Tree which according to Allan was approximately 300 years old. The tree was purchased in Scotland, planked and seasoned. The wheel is 18 inches in diameter. In those days (as you can see by the plaque) Allan signed his work as Allan McNair.

Humbled by this vision of perfection, I decided to postpone the results of my secret box. Instead, I would like to share with all of you some of my experiences and communications with this phenomenal woodturner.

I don’t know for sure when Allan was born, but I know that he lost his father at an early age. Most of his life he was raised by his mother, who according to Allan always told him at an early age that “his word was the most important thing in his life”. YOU MUST KEEP YOUR WORD ALWAYS AND NO EXCUSES she would constantly tell young Allan. He always tells me that he remembers his “MUM” with the greatest affection.

He also mentioned that one day he came home from school crying because he had a “good hiding” at school (please keep in mind that I am reading some of his expressions and accounts from our emails to each other). His mother then said: “Front room now boy!” According to Allan, if you were called to the front room that meant you were IN SERIOUS TROUBLE. She then threw at him a pair of boxing gloves and said: “Put those on boy” and she proceeded to knock him around the room and said: “You have no Dad to fight your battles for you… that’s the way you defend yourself. NEVER come home crying again.

“She had a heart of gold my mum, Allan wrote me. She was brought up as a tough “fisherwoman”. She was doing what she thought was right for a fatherless boy. She was a lady of integrity and that was important to her. When I served my apprenticeship 58 years ago says Allan, (I can’t believe I am that old), we were considered one step above a Laborer. In fact when I was younger and went to dances, I would invite a girl to dance, but I would never admit to her I was an apprentice woodworker. I discovered this never impressed them.

If my father were alive, he would have never believed I would finish traveling the world as a woodturner. I have this imaginary conversation with my father, writes Allan. If he had lived I would never have been allowed to go to the trade, but the company he worked for had a duty to start me as an apprentice because of his death.

When I left school at 15 as I had his tools I exercised that right and went to the trade as an apprentice. I never dreamed in my wildest dreams I would travel the world teaching my trade and the friends I would meet on the way, my dad would have been Gobstruck.

I also remember another thing we did. If the tradesman received “no pay” if they went sick, in the UK, I was given by my MUM a food parcel to take to their family. This way they had the basic essentials of life. How sad that too has disappeared. We were a community in those days.

As a working foreman, I knew a tradesman never parted with his tools…even in retirement. So, if I got word that one of the men was selling his tools in the workshop, I always tried to have a word with him in private, as I knew that he had a drink problem and he was selling tools to maintain his habit, so I needed to prove myself a friend to him, as he is no use to himself, me or the company. The most important thing was that I needed to establish TRUST with him, and find the root of the problem and together we could overcome it. And I never shared that with others, otherwise trust had just gone out the window.

Allan Batty is a great source of information of a period which most of us have NO IDEA on what woodturning was all about. So, instead of trying to relate his stories, I hope you can read this PDF document which I compiled. I am sure you will be fascinated by the depth of his knowledge as well as some of his personal life stories... not counting the incredible pictures of this fantastic piece. Please forgive the double post!

Hope you enjoy!

Paulo Marin
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Paulo Marin; 08-21-2011 at 3:14 PM.

ALLAN BATTY >>>> A LEGENDARY ARTIST and WOODTURNER - PAGE2

Spinning Wheel Pictures page 2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gorgeous work by Allan Batty, Paulo. You're lucky to have such a piece!

I am looking forward to reading the pdfs. Do you know why he signed his work Allan McNair?
    God is great and life is good!

Paulo,
    That is gorgeous. I've always been facinated by wooden machines and this is truely a remarkable example of an all but lost art.
    Last edited by Ed Morgano; 08-21-2011 at 4:07 PM.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Fascinating post... I appreciate your sharing this with us. I met his son Stuart here in Georgia a couple years ago, and caught a couple of those old stories from him.

Now let's see that secret box...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Paulo, thanks for the post. I will read all the PDF files when I get to work. Cool stories about the "old days".

Paulo - What a neat friend for you to have!!! 5 years ago I was fortunate enough to be invited to a 3 day seminar that Allan put on for 8 of us at Nick Stagg's shop. Allan was a tremedous story teller as well as instructor and accomplished turner. He would spend time at the blackboard on the mechanics of turning and then put us to work on our seperate lathes practicing the techniques we had just learned. Allan would get around to all of us with a guiding hand. All the time, he had us in stiches with his stories. I just can't imagine how I could have spent a better 3 days!!

Mike Ash

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    Paulo - What a neat friend for you to have!!! 5 years ago I was fortunate enough to be invited to a 3 day seminar that Allan put on for 8 of us at Nick Stagg's shop. Allan was a tremedous story teller as well as instructor and accomplished turner. He would spend time at the blackboard on the mechanics of turning and then put us to work on our seperate lathes practicing the techniques we had just learned. Allan would get around to all of us with a guiding hand. All the time, he had us in stiches with his stories. I just can't imagine how I could have spent a better 3 days!!

Mike Ash
    You are right Mike! I don't believe there is a woodturner out there that has his experience. Besides, he is wonderful to have in your house. He was neat and organized, never demanded anything and a complete riot when we went to dinner.

I also learned threading from him. His knowledge of threading surpasses any threading jig out there. If you guys have an opportunity to see his threading video you will be amazed. I encourage people to visit his website allan-batty.com

Unfortunately his health is frail today. He is in a home after having a heart attack and waking up hours later under the kitchen table. I will do everything I can for this man. Hopefully I can still get another trip to the USA from him.

I feel very lucky to know a "few legends " as I call them. In this day and age, where technology moves so fast, we quickly forget how people did things in the past and what we can learn from it.

I saw Allen october 2009. his rotation that i attended was Twists: Walking Sticks. after attending the rotation i made a cane with a barley twist and i do some finials with the barley twist today. he also spoke of visiting Egypt and observing the way they made the huge columns. good rotation and he had 32 pages of shop notes in the North Carolina Woodturning Symposium Demonstrators' Handouts 2009, i still refer to it today.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    I saw Allen october 2009. his rotation that i attended was Twists: Walking Sticks. after attending the rotation i made a cane with a barley twist and i do some finials with the barley twist today. he also spoke of visiting Egypt and observing the way they made the huge columns. good rotation and he had 32 pages of shop notes in the North Carolina Woodturning Symposium Demonstrators' Handouts 2009, i still refer to it today.
    Funny you say that Charlie.. I had an opportunity to buy a stick from him and failed to do so. I asked him recently if he would turn one for me, but he seems to have lost the desire. Hopefully I will be able to convince him. Can you post a link to the notes of the symposium?

Hey Mike, but I don't remember you by name but we must have met then. Allen was worth the work shop just for his stories. Turning billiard balls out of Ivory. How the ancients figured out dimensions on columns without math (which I unfortunately forgot).The knowledge was icing on the cake. I had heard that Allen had a stroke. I sent him an e-mail, and he replied "I have sold my car as the doctor does not think I should drive, SPOILSPORT, I WAS GETTING GOOD AT KNOCKING DOWN PEDESTRIANS, THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON THE PAVEMENT ANYWAY, I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ADVICE I WAS GIVEN, "KEEP DEATH OFF THE ROADWAYS, DRIVE ON THE SIDEWALK INSTEAD." so I did listen."

Quite a character.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Hey Mike, but I don't remember you by name but we must have met then. Allen was worth the work shop just for his stories. Turning billiard balls out of Ivory. How the ancients figured out dimensions on columns without math (which I unfortunately forgot).The knowledge was icing on the cake. I had heard that Allen had a stroke. I sent him an e-mail, and he replied "I have sold my car as the doctor does not think I should drive, SPOILSPORT, I WAS GETTING GOOD AT KNOCKING DOWN PEDESTRIANS, THEY SHOULD NOT BE ON THE PAVEMENT ANYWAY, I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ADVICE I WAS GIVEN, "KEEP DEATH OFF THE ROADWAYS, DRIVE ON THE SIDEWALK INSTEAD." so I did listen."

Quite a character.

robo hippy
    Reed - I thought your name was familiar. I think you were the one who helped me learn to sharpen my bowl gouges freehand. Now I need to get down to Eugene and have you give me a lesson or two on coring.

Mike

Mike,
    I think that was the first time I ever tried free hand sharpening. I didn't get into it seriously for another few months though. Now, it is the only way I do it.

Shop is open most of the time.

robo hippy

Paulo,

the notes are hard copy spirl notebook type thing

my brother-in-law will be up end of september, he does not turn but does all the computer stuff, maybe he can scan 32 pages and i can then post
    Last edited by charlie knighton; 08-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.