Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: levelling a level

levelling a level

Hello,

I recently purchased a vintage 12" spirit, torpedo level made by Rabone of England. Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_0907.jpgIMG_0908.jpg

I have no idea how old it is, but I'm guessing somewhere in the vicinity of 100 years. It's a beautiful level that appears to be out of true, and I'm not sure how to calibrate it. I'm particularly mystified by the fact that it does read accurate(my reference surface is dead level) in one direction but not the other. I would have thought that an out of level level would read OPPOSITE when it is rotated 180 degrees. Am I right in assuming that my results show that it is not the foot of the level that is at fault? Rather, that it is the seat of the vial? Or is it something else? Does anyone have any advice? Can the vial be adjusted in this kind of level? I bought this level to be a user. Is there any hope?

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I don't understand, if your reference surface is absolutely perpendicular to the pull of gravity, the bubble should not change positions whether it is in a North South orientation or a South North orientation. Or am I reading your post wrong?

Sorry. This is really hard to put into words. My reference surface is absolutely level. When I set the level on it it the bubble reads level. But when I rotate the level 180 degrees, it reads as if the left side is low. Does this make sense?

Thank you for helping. I'm about ready to start pulling my hair out!

How do you know your reference surface is absolutely level? Did you use another level and then rotate it 180 degrees?

I used a level known to be accurate to create the surface(a steel straightedge shimmed to perfectly level).

I sure hope that someone wiser than me jumps in because I don't have a clue. Good luck and please post the solution when you find it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wadstrup View Post
    Sorry. This is really hard to put into words. My reference surface is absolutely level. When I set the level on it it the bubble reads level. But when I rotate the level 180 degrees, it reads as if the left side is low. Does this make sense?

Thank you for helping. I'm about ready to start pulling my hair out!
    Hmm... the first thing that comes to my mind is to check that the case of the level is square and parallel all around.

David,

Check to make sure that the top and bottom of your level are parallel. Sounds like they may not be.

Paul

Thanks for jumping in. The bottom of the level is flat. The vial is set within a cavity of the wooden body and is covered by a brass top. It's not really possible to check it for parallel in relation to the sole.

The most logical answer is that the universe is messing with your brain.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

That's exactly what it feels like!!!

OK. Is the bubble adjustable? On some of the old levels the bubble sits in a ring that can be rotated. There my be a set screw holding it in place. The vial is definitely not parallel to the sole. Are you sure the body of the level isn't twisted or bent in any way? That will throw off the reading too.
    Are you looking to make a user out of this? If you want a dead accurate torpedo level, I wouldn't bother rhabing this, just go and get yourself a Stablia.
    2 more cents,
    Paul

I like Brian's explanation better!
    Last edited by Paul Incognito; 08-21-2011 at 8:48 PM. Reason: Saw Brian's post.

The bubble isn't adjustable. I removed the top brass plate, and the vial is cemented in place. The body doesn't appear to be twisted or bent. It's torpedo shaped, so I cant really reference it to a straightedge.

I did want to make a user out of it. Any hope?

Hang it on the wall as a decoration. Get yourself a Stabila. I've had one for 10 years, it's been dropped, kicked and run over. It still reads true.
    Paul

Thanks for you help everyone. I just ordered myself a Stabila torpedo.