Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash! Wife gives OK for Bandsaw--Which One?

Thumbs up Flash! Wife gives OK for Bandsaw--Which One?

NOT which wife .... which bandsaw????

Well, I got the OK to spend "around $1,000" for a new bandsaw

Now I have to figure one which one & quickly.... The Milwaukee Wood Show is this week end.

I plan on using the bandsaw mostly for resawing.

I've narrowed my choice down to the following:

1. Rikon 18" ($854 includes tax from local Woodcraft) Note- I have $100 gift card from Woodcraft
    2. MiniMax s16 ($1,300 includes 3 blades, Rack & Pin unit, footbrake, inc shipping, to tax) http://www.minimax-usa.com/bandsaws/s16.html
    3. Lauguna 16 ($1,395 no rack&pin, no foot brake plus shipping) This weekend is the Milwaukee Wood Show...I expect I get it for $1,295 or less http://www.lagunatools.com/lt16.htm
    Here are a couple of questions/thoughts...
    1. Of course, the number 1 question is "Which one should I buy??"
    2. I know the Rikon looks nice, good price, good specs... But I haven't seen many user reviews on the saw.... any comments from Rikon users.
    3. I want to use the bandsaw like I use my table saw, am I asking for too much from a $1,000 machine?? I've seen the Laguna presentation where they resaw wood just like you would rip wood on a table saw. (i.e. wood against the fence.... no pin) I've tried resawing on a friends Jet 18" and I had to scribe a line and had to use a pin on the fence to deal with blade drift) Is the Laguna claim just BS??? Can a Rikon or S16 do this??? I don't want to use a pin...I want to use the band saw like my table saw.
    4. Are their any MiniMax s16 users out there who could comment on their expereinces with the saw???
    5. I don't want to start a war, but I did not consider the Grizzly products for the following reason.... The Rikon is cheaper than the Grizzly 17" (in my case, with my $100 WC Gift Card) and the Laguna & MiniMax are better (but more expensive) than the Grizzly. Does this make sense???
    Well, sorry for the long post....

Thanks for your help and input!

-jj

She's a keeper!

I just got the OK to get 'a nice new tool', but my budget is more along the lines of half that. So I'm considering waiting on a band saw or maybe the Grizzly 0555. Also need a drill press and mortiser, so options abound...

Anyway, just thought I would let you know that Woodcraft is having a 10% off sale this Thursday -- just got an e-mail announcing it. That and your gift card combined with your budget mean you could get the Rikon AND something else very nice to go with it... That is assuming you can choose in time!

~ Fred

I would think the Laguna and MM are the better saws, but when you add in shipping and tax, you are well over your "around $1000.00" price.

Bob
    bob m

Of the three...I'd pick the Mini Max, but I'm also quite biased in that direction...If the $1300 includes the shipping, that's a really good deal, too.

BTW....welcome to the Creek!!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-21-2005 at 4:24 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The November 2004 issue of American Woodworker had a review of a bunch of 18"-ish steel frame bandsaws, including the Rikon 10-340. Here's a bit of what they said: "This is a huge machine for the price. It has as much resaw capacity, power and wheel size as other machines in this test costing hundreds more.... very large table ... micro-adjust screws for squaring the table to the blade's front, a quick-release tension lever ... Plenty of tension is available to pull harder on a blade to improve its performance ... The guide bearings tend to creep minutely out of position when you give them a final tightening. The upper wheel and guide post aren't as rigid as we'd like.... If you want a good value in a saw that can handle almost any size board, this is an excellent candidate. However, ... we selected two less-expensive saws that deliver as much power and have the same resaw capacity: the Grizzly G0513 ($750) and the Bridgewood BW17WBS ($900). Among these three saws, the Bridgewood is our favorite ..."

The American Woodworker editors chose the Grizzly G0506 as "the beefiest saw for heavy work" ("With little exaggeration, we'd say you could rip railroad ties on this thing all day long").

They chose the Laguna 16 and the MiniMaxS16 (tied) as the "best all-around big saw" ("They're extremely well-built, run smoothly and should give many years of trouble-free service").

I have no personal experience with any of these saws -- just passing along what the magazine editors said. Hope it helps. -- Paul

JJ,

For your price range, look at the Grizzly G0513. I've had one for several months and it's proven to be a good machine. I've heard nothing but good comments about it.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Quote Originally Posted by jj shields
    I've seen the Laguna presentation where they resaw wood just like you would rip wood on a table saw. (i.e. wood against the fence.... no pin) I've tried resawing on a friends Jet 18" and I had to scribe a line and had to use a pin on the fence to deal with blade drift) Is the Laguna claim just BS??? Can a Rikon or S16 do this??? I don't want to use a pin...I want to use the band saw like my table saw. [*]Are their any MiniMax s16 users out there who could comment on their expereinces with the saw???
    [

-jj
    Irregardless of which saw you get, the "BLADE" is what will mostly determine how Straight and thin the cut can/will be, but THEN, the Saw MUST be strong enough to Tension the blade in use to it's proper performance tension without any Flex in the frame or wobble in the wheels. For your stated use, most likely a Lenox 1/2" or 3/4" Trimaster Blade would give the best results, but are expensive, however could be bought later, if one is not included with the saw. There Are some less expensive blades you could try, but I have no experience with them.

I just saw a report this past week that the Rikon was Allright, but it didn't seem that he felt it to be strong enough to recommend for much quantity for your type of use, but I have No experience with that machine.

I also have no experience with the MiniMax "model" you mentioned, but if it is "Anything Like" my MiniMax tools, that is what I would suggest.

Welcome JJ.
    I know everybody can not justify the price of a European bandsaw in their shop, but if you are contemplating between Rikon, MM and Laguna, pick the European saw. I am also bias toward Mini Max and have their 20" and think it is one of the finest machines in my shop.
    Plus if you buy the MM you still have the $100 gift card to spend on something else at woodcraft!

Richard

Welcome JJ to the creek! It is a great place as you are soon to find out. I have been looking at bandsaws as well, so I don't have one yet. Just wanted to welcome you!

I thought I was heading towards the 18" models myself after A LOT of research and going back and forth between them and the 14"ers with a riser.

Then just about all of the blade companies at the Virginia wood worker's show this weekend said to save half the money and get the 14 and the riser, but buy a really good blade for the resawing.

Now I am back to the beginning!

I'd pick the Laguna. I'm biased to the Laguna. Got a LT-16HD [last years model] and I can say it has enough power to saw up to the max height of 12". That's not to say the MM is not as good or better, just different. I have had no drift problems at all, from 4" up to 10" so far.

The blade is quite critical when resawing, no matter whose saw you have.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jj shields
    ...I've seen the Laguna presentation where they resaw wood just like you would rip wood on a table saw. (i.e. wood against the fence.... no pin) I've tried resawing on a friends Jet 18" and I had to scribe a line and had to use a pin on the fence to deal with blade drift) Is the Laguna claim just BS??? Can a Rikon or S16 do this??? I don't want to use a pin...
    I have the Laguna, and you can easily resaw just like the demo - but only after you adjust the fence for the blade's drift. You must readjust every time you change blades.

Assuming your fence is adjustable for drift, you should be able to resaw <I>"a la Laguna"</I> with any of the other saws as well.

I have the brake, and the Baldor motor on mine, and I really like it. I've had it for about a year now, and have thrown a lot of different woods at it, using blades from 1/8" up to 1", with good results on all. The ceramic blade guides take a little getting used to, and they also slow down the blade changes a bit, but they work very well. BTW, if you're going to use blades smaller than 1/4" on the Lagune, you need the accessory 'cool block' holders. Smaller blades won't work with the ceramic guides.

Welcome to the Creek!!!

Where are you located as it's nice to find a local company to deal with.

For me, I chose the Bridgewood but haven't bought it yet. (Does that really count??) I have 4 other machines from them and they are Top Quality stuff. The customer service is also about as good as you'll get. They're located in York PA.

http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatal...idgewood%20WBS

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Wow!

What a great forum.....

This really seems like a great community, I glad I found this place

Thanks for all the input ... so far!

But (and there is always but) does any one have the MM s16????

Any comments on this machine??? I can't find any reviews on this machine.

Thanks again!

-jj

JJ. I've posted a few reviews of the Rikon 18" this past week. They are here on the board if you would like to search them.
    The Bandsaw's that you have listed are all nice. If you were willing to go about $400 higher, you may want to look at the Grizzly G0566, 21", Grizzly is also discontinuing the 20" model. I know that you didn't want to consider Grizzly but you owe it to yourself. I bought the Rikon 18", but the G0566 was my second choice, and only because I already had a Jet 14"
    You will not be able to use any of these machines like your table saw, they are all too lite. All of them will resaw, and do it well, but if you are looking to shove the material thru, you'll need to set your sights a little higher.
    You will also need a good blade if resawing is your ultimate semi-dedicated goal. Blades I recomend in order; Lennox 1" Tri-master 2/3. Lennox 1" Bi-Metal 2/3 and Timberwolf 1" 3TPI. All will give good performance, but the Tri Master is the clear winner.
    Good luck and welcome to the 'Creek. Let us know what you decide on, and post a few pic's when you get it home. Have fun driving yourself crazy with your choice(s)