Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I really need a router Lift????

Dick, I have two PC890 routers in two tables. With my first I bought the above table adjuster which worked well for a very short amount of time and then it began binding causing the router to actually tilt slightly away from the side with the threaded track for adjusting. As everyone else has mentioned there is some slop that occurs and the bit moves but the tilt is the more critical thing.
    I kept taking the router out of the base and cleaning it up to make sure it could move easily through the base and I adjusted the clamping tension both tighter and looser to see if I could get it to pull the router straight once clamped but had no luck. With nobody else complaining about the problem I thought it was just a quirk with mine. It was very frustrating to have bad cuts because the router was tilted ever so slightly to one side or to have to grab the router and give it a shake to straighten it back up after lifting before clamping down.

I finally gave in and bought a PRL-V2 lift and love it though it is a big expense.

I later added a router table extension wing onto my table saw and picked up andother PC890 kit with both the fixed and plunge bases thinking maybe the new router or the new base would make the difference for the above table adjustment but I quickly ran into the same problems with that one as well. Now I just adjust it from under the table since it is so easy to reach anyway but some day if I end up using both routers enough to justify it I will buy another lift for the extension wing router.

You do not need a lift but it sure does help with quick setup and precision and a hobby that does not cause stress and frustration is a lot more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Thomas View Post
    Situation: I bought a P-C 893PK kit (fixed & plunge bases) and intend to build an add-on table for it on my Rigid TS-3650 tablesaw. A recent Rockler flyer is running a table top special including an HPL table, Fence w/DC port, FX lift, and a 4-pc accessory kit. The combination price looks pretty good, compared to what I've found in their on-line catalog, but the question is, Do I really need a lift?? PC has an accessory micro adjustment knob (PN 75301) for about $25 +/- which supposedly allows above-the-table fine adjustment.

Can anyone give me some comparison info between the 2 options?

Many thanx,
    DickT

I am with Glenn, no you don't need a lift.

But as he said, once you get one you will never be without it. It is just so much easier to work with, no under the table locks or anything like that.

Now a lot of the newer routers have above the table adjustment and this would be the next best thing.

The FX lift is a very good lift, I had one for over 3 years and loved it, I did move up the Master R because I wanted to go to a larger router.

I seriously considered a lift, until I bought the big Triton router for my table. I no longer see a need for a lift.

[QUOTE=Carl Beckett;1764733]Posting this question on this forum, is like asking a group of 7 year old boys if they really 'need' the super whammy GI Joe with the Kung Foo Grip..... !

Do you actually HAVE the super whammy GI Joe with the Kung Foo Grip?? I've been trying to get one for a looong time.
    I Pledge Allegiance to This Flag, And If That Bothers You Well That's Too Bad - Aaron Tippin

[QUOTE=Stan Krupowies;1764813]
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Posting this question on this forum, is like asking a group of 7 year old boys if they really 'need' the super whammy GI Joe with the Kung Foo Grip..... !

Do you actually HAVE the super whammy GI Joe with the Kung Foo Grip?? I've been trying to get one for a looong time.
    Mine was a freebie when I bought my router lift!
    Last edited by Jerome Hanby; 08-24-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: typo

I have a Milwaukee 5616-20, 2-1/2 HP router in my table with above table adjustment. It requires bending 3-4 inches to loosen/tighten the locking mechanism so to me a high priced lift isn't necessary. I use a height gauge to set the height and at times I do get a 1-2 thousands movement when I tighten the lock, but we are talking woodworking not rocket science.

Thanx for all the comments, guys. I think I'll get the table top kit without the lift, and add one later if I use the router enough - although assembling my retirement dream shop, I'm a beginner at router work. And Carl: From your comment, I guess my question really should have been 'Do I DESERVE a router lift?'

As a father of young children, I can assure you that no seven year olds know who G.I. Joe is.Back in routerdom, coating your router body in dry lube will prevent binding and tipping during adjustment. I prefer White Lightning. I also lube the screw mechanism, which smooth out the adjustment action.Also, doesn't multiple lifts defeat the purpose of a lift. Why spend $300 on a lift and $300 on a router in order to "set it and forget it", when just buying multiple routers achieves the same end. For the price of three good lifts and three large routers used for a rail and stile with raised panel set up, I can buy six large routers. This would allow me to set up the rail,stile, and panel cutters as well as the door lip cutter and still have two dedicated dovetail routers for my drawers. My change over time between rails, stiles and panels would be the exact same because the adjustment procedure is taken out of the equation.

OK so I'm in the camp of never had one never needed it. I have a table that uses PC 690's which I can quickly and easily adjust to within thousandths of an inch just by twisting at the bottom. Mine is relegated to small profiles and round overs so it's a simple and straightforward setup. Also with my setup I can swap out routers instead of bits quickly and easily....I have more than a few routers so for me it's practical.

Now I might change my mind if I got to use a nice lift, but at this point I'd rather use the money to buy another router than to buy a lift;>)

good luck,
    JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wayne View Post
    Gilbert, do you use the three lifts in the same table, just switching them out or do you have multiple tables? I have had good luck buying a barely used 890 router in a JessEm lift. I also got a good deal on a Milwaukee 3.5hp router and am considering getting a lift for it also..
    Steven, I use the lifts on the same table. I used a 890 router on the third lift I bought until I got the 3rd 7518. It worked well. The 890 was moved to a Jessem router plate for edge treatment.

The reason I had the "need" for 3 lifts is that i did the kitchen over several months, doung a section at a time. This way I could maintain the setup throughout the construction period.

Gilbert