Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12v Impact Driver uses?

12v Impact Driver uses?

I am looking to buy a 12v Drill, probally a Dewalt or Hitachi as I don't like the feel of the fat handle drills (Bosch, Milkwaukee, Makita). As with most of these drills for a 20 dollars more you can get the combo with a drill/driver and an impact driver. I already have an 18v makita drill/driver and impact driver and don't really see a need for a 12v Impact Driver. But I was wondering if anyone had both and found a situation where they could use the 12v impact over an 18v impact. Thanks

William

Sorry Can't help much. I have the Craftsman C3 system with the 19.2V Impact. To be honest I can't see a need for anything smaller. The drill will handle anything under 2" and the impact is used for anything longer. A 12V impact, for me at least, would be a waste of time and money and one more tool I have to find a home for.

I use a 14.4V Makita Ni-MH impact driver now but couldn't really tell much difference from the 12V DeWalt I used before. The 12V DeWalt drove 3" wood screws and lag bolts very well in my experience. I would still be using it but someone stole it from my neighbor who had it on loan. I preferred the lighter weight of the DeWalt but I got a better deal on a Makita combo set when I replaced the DeWalt.

I use mine all the time. Recently someone showed me I could drive drywall screws with more contol than a regular cordless drill. Its the first thing I go for when doing home projects too.

Blog Entries
    I have the Makita 10.2 volt drill and impact driver. Works great. This is my second impact driver and I love them.

The impact driver is one tool in my shop, that if it breaks, I will replace it before the sun goes down.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I don't do a lot of heavy screwing, and find that the 12V drivers work for most of the screws up to 1/4" x 3" lag screws. I recently got the Milwaukee 12V Lithiom compact drill and driver and have been happy with the power and battery life and charge time. The only complaint is the drill uses the 1/4" hex drive, but I did get a 1/4" drill chuch adapter to use for smaller bits.

I picked up a 12 volt Dewalt drill & driver combo a while back at Home Depot. They told me the the driver was NOT an impact - but it is. I love the small hand/footprint!

I also have a Rigid drill (18 volt I think - not home so can't check) but it is quite a bit heavier and not so good for tight places. The Dewalt seems to have lots of power for what I do.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I have 3 kinds of Bosch 12V - 1/4", impact, and regular. I also have a Bosch 18V driver and impact drill, but never use them anymore. 12V is lighter, smaller, and if it's underpowered, I just go to a corded drill (or brace). Not much that the 12V won't handle.

Steve

I find the 18 v and 12/14.4v drivers have somewhat different applications. Unless I'm driving a bunch of large lag screws or something else that requires a lot of torque, I always go with either my 12 or 14.4 volt Makita drivers which I pretty much use interchangably. I like the lighter weight, it's definitely less tiring and easier to handle for an extended period of time. They are just about my favorite power tools and I'd hate to be without them.

Sounds like a lot of folks use the impact driver for phillips head screws.

What brand of bits do you use to stand up to the impact and give acceptable life?

I have a 19.2v, 14.4v, and a 10.8v (12v max) impact driver...I reach for the 10.8v the majority of the time. It's just so light, comfortable, and easy to use, and has enough power most of the time.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Sounds like a lot of folks use the impact driver for phillips head screws.

What brand of bits do you use to stand up to the impact and give acceptable life?
    I tend to use the DeWalt brand bits and extensions but make sure you get the ones that are impact rated. The std. bits will not work as well and tend to twist.

I have a 14.4v Dewalt pistol grip drill that I bought back in 1994 (jeez, that was a long time ago) and it's still the first screw turning tool I reach for. I have been through a later Dewalt 18v t-handle that died, a rigid 18v Li-Ion drill that was just not the equal of the 14.4, and recently (well, last year) I added a Porter Cable 12v impact driver becuase I got it on sale at Lowes. To be honest, the thing has it's uses, but I don't know why people prefer them for everyday usage, asides from perhaps weight. For normal screwing (haha) you don't need the extra torque, they don't have variable speed control, THEY ARE LOUD, and when you drive a bunch of screws in one run (like screwing down hardi-backer) the impact housing gets insanely hot.

Quote Originally Posted by William Burgess View Post
    But I was wondering if anyone had both and found a situation where they could use the 12v impact over an 18v impact.
    I've got an 18V Makita drill and impact driver, and also have the original Bosch 10.8V (now 12V) mini-drill and mini-impact driver. While I've run into plenty of instances where I could use the smaller drill, but not the larger, I don't think that situation has ever come up with the impact driver. In other words, I've found that if you have a larger impact driver, there isn't a much of a case for the small impact driver. That said, it is lighter and I do find myself reaching for it a lot. For $20, I'd say go for it...

15. I've got the 12v dewalt kit too and I love it. When I was rehabbing houses I needed the longer power that the 18v provided and I was still using NiCad rather than Li-ion. With the incredibly short charging time and more efficient power of Li-ion, I don't know what I'm missing with the 12v vs the "big brothers." The small size is great, you can use it just about anywhere and they weigh nothing. I agree with everyone in regards to impacts driving screws easier and with more control (especially if you're on a ladder or inside a cabinet). Also, Marty's definitely right, the driver tips not rated for impact will twist. Get a bunch and you'll always have them around. Be aware of what you're driving into though, they are notorious for breaking screws.